12. Saving the First-Stringers

Some lines and events are from Black Butler: Book of Circus

After greeting Kelvin, Lord Burton gestured towards the window where four figures stood, two men with two children.

"Ah, there they are!" Lord Burton said. "The Earl Phantomhive and the Earl Thornheart!"

The two Earls turned, hearing their names. Seeing the two men approaching, the younger Raven looked to his father for explanation on their identities. Percival Thornheart placed a hand on his son's head, a gesture saying to wait.

"Allow me to introduce the Baron Kelvin," Lord Burton said.

"P-pleased to meet you," Kelvin stuttered.

"Pleased to meet you," Vincent Phantomhive replied, shaking the Baron's hand.

Earl Thornheart shook the Baron's hand with only a silent nod.

When told to introduce himself, Raven looked at his father hesitantly before doing so. Raven then turned his attention to the boy hiding behind his father, holding out a hand to him. The boy looked at him and gave a small smile, taking his hand.

"Uncle Chlaus!" Ciel says, seeing the man approaching.

A later date, Earl Phantomhive, Earl Thornheart and Diedrich sit in the billiards room together.

"What was so important you decided to call me back from Germany?" Diedrich asks. "And to have you send your retrieval panther instead of a letter?"

Earl Thornheart lifted an unamused eyebrow. "I am no one's retrieval panther. I am however, a master at hiding bodies where they can never be found."

"There's a job that we'd like your help with," Vincent says, ignoring Percival's comment.

Body tense, Raven takes a second to process everything. As he does, instead of horror, anger rises in him until in can't be contained any longer.

"You!" Raven shrieks, lunging at the Baron only to be held back by Thorne. "How dare you! Rebuilding a hell like this! I swear, I should skin you alive!"

"Sabre," Joker whispers, shocked at the boy's fury.

"And you!" Raven howls, rounding on the redhead. "You know! I told you what happened to me and you still help him!"

"We... we didn't know," Joker says, looking away in shame.

"Always know what you're getting into," Raven growls, ceasing his struggles against Thorne's hold. "Always."

Thorne releases the young Earl, who crosses his arms and turns away.

"How I envy them," Kelvin continues. "A beautiful end, with the cold moon at their death beds. Please, make me one of them. Look, I've prepared everything just as it was then. This ritual chamber, and the lambs and finally my lords, you."

Blood splatters. Ciel's gun smokes and Raven's arm is now outstretched, one of his throwing knives now embedded in Kelvin's shoulder.

Ciel's breathing comes in heavy pants, teeth clenched.

"Enough," Thorne whispers, eyes black behind closed eyelids. "I thought you were prepared for this."

"Father!" Joker cries.

"He wanted this, Joker," Raven says.

His words go unheard by the redhead, who pulls off his prosthetic hand and takes a hidden knife from the prosthetic's wrist, charging at Ciel.