1. The Panther's Job (pt. 1)

My dear boy,

Of course I'll assist you in closing this case.

I've done as you've asked and sent a letter to my watchdog, one that looks the same as the ones I send him for any other case. I have confidence in saying that he will not disappoint and will be at your ball tomorrow night. I have faith in you, and I'll await the news that you have been successful.

Good luck, my Panther.

- Victoria

Raven smiles as the letter. "Thorne."

"Yes, your shortness?" The Butler replies, earning a glare from the Earl.

"I told you to stop calling me that," Raven growls.

Thorne grins, "but I do it anyway cause it's fun."

Some might wonder if the two were master and Butler, or best friends. It's one of the three things Raven had asked of the Soul Keeper. Act more like a friend, not too formal, at least when they're alone; never betray or lie to him; and to never abandon him until he finds someone to trust and love, so he won't be alone.

You see, Soul Keepers don't make contracts like demons. They choose to serve and make a promise to a human in their spare time, away from their soul making duties. They could end their servitude at any point if they get bored, they only interact with humans for entertainment. And they don't devour their master's soul, they simply leave and let the soul continue its path of life.

The job of the soul keepers is to make souls, make their appearance, their personality, and to destroy or reincarnate the souls once the grim reapers collect them and are done with their cinematic records. That's why the soul keeper realm is next to that of the grim reapers, and why the keepers and the reapers are fairly friendly with, or at least don't hate, each other.

As for powers, soul keepers have many of the physical abilities that demons have, they can see many of the possible futures to see how a soul they create may impact the world, and while they can't change their appearance, they can hide their large feathered white or black wings.

"You damn scum," Raven says, trying to hide his smile.

"You love me," Thorne replies, still grinning.

Raven rolls his eyes. "Anyway, the plan should work. The watchdog, Earl Phantomhive, will be at the party, and if he does his job right, the case will be closed by dawn."

"I hope he shows up dressed as a mistress again," Thorne muses. "The way he snuck into that ball thrown by Aleistor Chamber a while ago was quite amusing."

"Why were you even there?" Raven asks. "And why didn't you at least take me with you?"

"I didn't think you would want to go," Thorne replies. "As for why I went... It's not important."

"It must be if you went without telling me," Raven says. "But if it's personal, then you don't have to say."

Thorne nods, not saying anything.

Raven turns back to the letter, a smirk playing on his lips. "Now then, let's get everything set for the ball."