11. The Mad Baron

Some lines are from Black Butler: Book of Circus

"In too deep, I'm in too deep,
It's too late, can't turn back now.
I've danced my dance, sung my song,
Now all that's left is cold dark misery.

What can I do? Is redemption gone?
Gone away like the hope once had?
Is happiness possible, or am I doomed to darkness?
Who knows what the future will hold."

"What are you singing and why?" Raven asks.

Thorne looks over at him. "Something I made up. It's fitting for what's to come. The seed of doubt has been planted, now it will be watered and start to grow."

Raven's brows furrow but he knows he won't get a simple answer from the soul keeper. "It's all happening tonight, isn't it?"

"Yes," Thorne replies. "Which means quite a lot of work for me. I believe I am prepared, but I make no promises."

"Don't say stuff like that!" Raven says. "You'll make me nervous and scared and unable to focus!"

"Apologizes. How does Phantomhive fair?"

Raven sighs. "He's resting. Not exactly by choice though. It seems as though we have some time to kill. How are things at the manor?"

"Going smooth," Thorne replies. "Though Noble and Alpha dumped buckets of water on Claire and Ramsey yesterday so they all spent the day running around the manor hiding from and chasing each other."

Raven chuckles softly. "And the panthers?"

"Have detected nothing out of the ordinary," Thorne replies. He hums and tilts his head thoughtfully, "I did get called to look at a rather fine rabbit they decided to catch despite not needing to eat."

"You make the weirdest puppets," Raven says.

"Well, they are entertaining," Thorne replies, getting an agreeing nod. "The manor is well and still standing though."

"Good," Raven says. He pauses before asking, "how about a game of chess to pass the time. No cheating."

Thorne chuckles and nods. "Got it."

"You two?" Ciel says, seeing Raven and Thorne standing on the steps of the town house, looking around at the surroundings.

Raven turns, a determined look in his eye. "If you thought we wouldn't come with you, you're a fool, Ciel. I know who Kelvin is to the first-stringers, and I know that if they are behind the abductions, it's Kelvin's fault. I'm not letting you kill the first-stringers."

"We shall see," Ciel replies. "Are you sure you can handle it?"

Raven scoffs, offended. "I may not be as serious as you, Ciel, but I am still the Queen's panther. I've personally taken down many of London's hidden criminals and gotten bloody more times than I care to count. And like you, I have also lost everything before and been forced to rebuild my life. Do not think of me as weak, physically or emotionally."

"I don't," Ciel replies. "Physically, I've seen what you are capable of. Emotionally, I have not. Do not blame me for doubt. Now let's go, I've wasted enough time already."

As they head for Kelvin's manor, the only sound is Thorne humming that made up song.

The demon and soul keeper land outside the dark manor, each setting their masters down. 

"So this is the Baron's estate," Ciel says, looking up at the place. "Tell me, can you sense them?"

"Indeed," the demon replies. "I'm not certain if all the children are here, but those who are seem to be well."