27. Spinning the Web

It's a quiet day in Phantomhive manor (for once) when Sebastian brings a letter from the Queen. Ciel, sitting in his study and building a tower of cards, looks up with a sigh when the demon walks in, holding the letter out.

"Young Master, I believe Earl Thornheart has handed a job to you."

Ciel takes the letter, frowning as he opens it. "What makes you think Raven found this problem?"

"When Thorne and I switched places," Sebastian replies, "I helped the panther in investigating a part of his newest find. He mentioned he would eventually hand the case to you. There was also this."

The demon produces another letter, this one sealed with the crest of the Thornheart family. Ciel hums softly, reading over the Queen's letter first:

My dear boy,

I greatly enjoyed the tea party we had together with Miss Sullivan. Are you still well?

This latest case has been handed to you by my panther. I'm sure you remember him, of course.

I would like you to visit a place in London known as Sphere Music Hall, a popular place that hosts gatherings every Saturday. These gatherings are open to everyone with an invitation, regardless of social class or age. My panther tells me he has noticed no strange oddities at these gatherings, but he is suspicious given the sheer number of people in attendance, as well as who these attendees are. Having no care for social class is strange, I agree, and I have never heard of such parties.

I am worried that there is some sort of ulterior motive. What are your thoughts?

- Queen Victoria

Ciel hums, taking the invitation for the music hall from the letter and passing the letter itself back to Sebastian so the demon can read over it. Ciel turns Raven's letter over in his hands, already forming a plan on how to go about investigating this music hall as he opens the envelope.

Ciel,

I sent a letter to Her Majesty a few days ago. If I send this at the right time, you should get her letter and mine on the same morning. Read hers first.

As I wrote to her, this music hall looks completely innocent, but I'm sure there's something going on behind the scenes. There is a man at these parties, Blavat Sky, who claims to be a fortune teller and the like. See him, and he will ask for a drop of your blood to determine 'what star you are under the divine protection of.' It sounds like lies and blasphemy, I know, but the silver bracelet he gives you will let you into private gatherings only for one of the four stars. I myself am under Canopus, but there is also Sirius, Vega and Polaris.

Be warned, Blavat Sky seemed to know Thorne was not human. He said nothing of it, but we both know demons are a different matter.

I have seen many people at these parties, Ciel. Men and women, lords and commoners, military and Scotland Yard. They are all enamoured with the music hall. I will not deny that these gatherings are entertaining and alluring, but do not underestimate what may be behind it all.

I'll be at the party this coming Saturday and I hope to see you there as well.

- Raven

Ciel purses his lips in thought. "Sebastian, you said you helped Raven investigate a part of this music hall?"

"Indeed," the demon replies. "We asked around London for opinions of Sphere Music Hall. Everyone we spoke to offered praise and enjoyment of what was offered. This was before Earl Thornheart attended one of these gatherings himself, though it seems he has done so now."