19. Back at the Manor

"This proves it's impossible for one person to have committed all the murders," Arthur says, holding up the timeline in his notebook.

Ciel or Melissa could have killed Von Siemens, only Sebastian could have killed Phelps, and basically anyone could have killed Sebastian.

"What shall we do?" Ciel asks, looking at Arthur.

Thorne hums quietly as they decide to search Sebastian's body for the key to Ciel's chambers. This party really will test his demon. A soft smile appears on the keeper's lips. What fun this will be.

A shriek draws attention from where Raven and the first-stringers are sitting in the lounge.

"Again?" Dagger asks.

"Seems like it," Raven replies.

"What was Shadow thinking when he created the twins anyway?" Wendy says, shaking her head fondly.

"I really don't know," Raven says. "But they're a force to be reckoned with, that's for sure."

"Master!" Alpha yelps as he and Noble come running into the room to hide behind Raven's chair.

"You two," Raven scolds, "I've nearly had enough of this water-dumping joke of yours." The twins blink at him before pouts appear on their lips. Raven sighs, "Think of something else, the floor can't take much more of this."

The twins sigh and nod. "Yes, Master."

"Good. Now, tell me how things are at Ciel's party. This rain doesn't seem to want to let up."

The first-stringers all pay attention, curious.

"The guest of honor has been murdered," Noble replies, drawing gasps from the others. "And this morning, another guest was found dead with two puncture marks in his neck like a vampire bite. Master's lover was also found dead with a fire poker in his chest."

"The remaining guests are trying to find out who did it," Alpha adds. "Master's sister is there; she got into trouble and he's watching her."

"Melissa?" Raven asks with a smile.

Alpha nods.

"The guest with the puncture marks," Jumbo says, "You don't think they could have been made by a snake, do you?"

Several pairs of eyes widen.

"Jumbo, you don't think Snake sent one of his snakes to kill him, do you?" Peter asks.

"It's possible," Jumbo replies. "If he thinks we're dead, he may want revenge."

"That's a fair point," Raven muses. "Thorne, is it true?"

"That's what it seems to be," Thorne's voice replies.

The soul keeper is speaking through Noble, the puppet's normally dark eyes now Thorne's icy blue.

"Shadow," Joker says, surprised. "You're not busy?"

"Oh, yes, I am," the keeper replies, "But I'm quite good at multitasking. But yes, it seems Snake sent one of his snakes to kill, but it wasn't after the guest. See, this guest was sleeping in Phantomhive's quarters."

"And snakes can't tell the difference between people," Raven says. "So Snake probably told the snake to go after Ciel, but it was a different man sleeping there."

"Indeed," Thorne replies. He pauses, "I have to go. I'll be back tomorrow, or whenever the rain stops. Oh, Alpha, don't forget to tell what Vira said."

Alpha nods and the blue in Noble's eyes disappears.

"Vira?" Dagger asks.

Raven nods. "She's another of Thorne's puppets, living in London. She keeps track of this mafia I lead. She's second in command."

"You're the head of a mafia?" Beast asks, shocked. "Why?"

"It helps keep track of all the activity in the underworld, how many men there are and such. It also helps find some problems that need taking care of. It's sort of fun too. Nobody knows I work for the Queen, they just know me as a skilled noble in a high place, willing to work in the underworld. Now, what did Vira say, Alpha?"

"They're getting restless again," Alpha says softly, "The Crimson Vipers' want action and the numbers are growing. She's thinking you have them attack Phantomhive manor again to lower the numbers and hopefully settle them."

"Again?!" Peter asks. "You've had people attack that place?!"

Raven nods, "It was a death sentence. No one attacks Phantomhive manor and lives to tell the tale. Not anymore, anyway. But yes, that's a good idea. Maybe I'll go alone this time, I need some action... Tell Vira to start preparations to attack Phantomhive manor as soon as the rain lets up. We'll meet Thorne there. And don't tell Thorne, let's surprise him."

The twins nod, disappearing from the room.

"Sabre," Joker says, "I want to come along."

"No!" Dagger protests, "Joker, you don't want to go there, those people aren't normal!"

"They're dangerous!' Peter adds. "They'll kill you!"

"No, they won't," Raven says, "Not if I have anything to say about it. But are you sure, Joker? This isn't anything like what you're used to."

Joker nods, "I'm sure. I want to see exactly what it is you do, and I want to see Smile's manor. And I want to see Snake."

Raven nods, understanding. "Then we'll start preparing. I want all of you to keep your skills sharp, just in case something happens."

The first-stringers nod, agreeing.

A wide grin spreads across Raven's lips, "Come on, I want to show you something."

Raven gets up, leading the first-stringers down the hall to a door they haven't yet opened.

"This is what I call the training room," Raven says, pushing open the door.

The room is big, the largest room in the manor. The floor is open with various props and such pushed up against the walls. A tightrope crosses the room above, a couple of trapezes hanging from the ceiling as well.

"Wow," Wendy breathes.

"So this is how you practice when you're not with us," Jumbo muses.

Raven nods, noting, "It's weird not being in here with Shadow. No matter, shall we begin?"

The first-stringers all look to each other with grins.

"We shall."