7. Joining the Circus

"Well?" Ciel asks.

"We will return to the circus tomorrow morning for your audition, Master," Sebastian replies. "And what of Earl Thornheart?"

"He had apparently stayed with the circus for a year after... that incident," Ciel says. "They are his family now, and he has made it clear he will not stand idly by and let us investigate, much less eliminate, the first-stringers. That makes our job difficult, but I do enjoy a challenge."

Sebastian bows his head. "Of course, Master. As for Thorne, he had no complaint when the man Joker offered me a place in the circus. I believe he is anticipating a challenge as well. Thorne always has enjoyed manipulating his playing pieces in ways that are unnecessary yet entertaining. He could stop us at any point, yet he won't intervene until he must. He moves are predictable only up to a certain extent."

"Then do your best to predict them and keep me informed," Ciel replies. "We will play his game until we know it well enough to attempt to take over. Does that sound applicable, Sebastian?"

The demon nods. "Yes, my lord."

What he doesn't say is that with the ability to see the future, Thorne can not lose unless he doesn't look into the future to see the possibilities and steer to the one he chooses.

Sebastian smiles. Yes. This game will be interesting.

Thorne paces back and forth in his tent, eyes white as he looks through the possible futures.

"Oh now we can't have that," he whispers. "Raven will break if that happens. So if I... Yes, that will do. And of course, he will have to die, never did like him. Not everyone can be saved, and this time, I won't even try. They will become better without him. But all of the first stringers must remain as safe as possible."

Thorne stops pacing and holds one hand up, eight spheres of pale blue light appearing and swirling above his palm. Faint whispers emanate from the orbs as the balls of light, the puppets, are given their appearance, personality and orders.

"Protect them," Thorne commands. "Immobilized anyone who tries to harm your subject. Do not be seen by anyone unless absolutely necessary."

With a dismissive wave of his fingers, Thorne sends the puppets, who will appear as replicas of the first stringers, to watch and guard their human counterpart.

"Thorne!" Raven runs in just as the puppets disappear. Raven pauses, watching the glowing orbs take the form of the first stringers before disappearing. "First of all, what was that? Second of all, we need to do something."

"I just did," Thorne replies. "They will protect the first stringers."

"They shouldn't need protecting though, that's what I fear," Raven says, pacing like Thorne had done. "They shouldn't be the guard dog's targets. Thorne, Ciel said children have been going missing from the places the circus has visited. What can we do?"

"I do not yet know for certain, Raven, but I will do my best to make sure the future plays out in favour of those we care out surviving," Thorne says. "Earl Phantomhive and his Butler will return tomorrow; Sebastian has been offered a place in the circus, and he has said he will bring a friend to try out in the morning. The guard dog is hunting, but the panther has an advantage."

"We know them, they trust us, yet they also know of my title," Raven says. "I do not think they will tell very easily, but we must try. I lost one family, I am not going to lose another."

Thorne smiles, "I expect nothing less."

"Morning, Joker!" Raven calls happily as he and Thorne fall into step with the redhead.