25. Promises & Hidden Truths

Thorne growls lowly as heat flares against his back. "You planned this."

"Not something this hot," Raven replies, looking up at the keeper hovering above him and shielding him from the heat of the flames where he had just been standing. "It just seemed like fun to test you and Seb together."

Against his will, a smirk crosses Thorne's lips. "I want to be annoyed, really I do, but it's been awhile since my demon and I fought together and it sounds fun."

Raven grins, "I knew you'd think so!"

Thorne rolls his eyes and pulls Raven to his feet. "You and Ciel are to remain down here."

The panther pouts at that but before he can protest, Thorne and Sebastian are already vaulting over the edge of the roof and out of sight.

"Rude," Raven grumbles, crossing his arms.

Ciel rolls his eyes. "Well, we're alone and soaked in flammable liquid. I suggest we at least move further away from the fire."

"Or I can think of as many ways as possible to make you blush!" Raven chirps, following Ciel down the alley.

The watchdog isn't facing him but Raven can tell he's blushing from the falter in his steps and the way he growls, "You—!"

Raven laughs at that, wrapping his arms around the other earl from behind and pulling the boy up against him. Ciel yelps at that, pushing at the panther's arms and trying to pull away.

"Let me go, you insolent brat!"

"Aw, that hurts, Ciel."

"I said let me go!"

Up on the rooftop, Thorne pauses. His gloves are bloody, more of the crimson liquid splattered over his face and torso. A delighted laugh passes his lips as he easily throws one of the gang members towards his demon, said demon kicking the man down into the alley where a sharp crack echoes and the body lies still.

"You make this so much fun, darling!" the soul keeper calls.

Sebastian smiles in response though inside, he's worried. Thorne is usually cheerful, yes, but there's something different about this cheerful, something the demon hasn't seen in a long time. Keeping an eye on the keeper, Sebastian continues in dispatching the offending men and with both immortals working, it's not long at all before the job is done.

Thorne claps his hands together with a delighted yet disappointed laugh. "That was almost too easy..."

Sebastian sighs at that, turning his lover to face him, keeping a firm grasp on said lover's shoulders and looking him in the eye. "Thorne, you promised me centuries ago that this madness was contained and would not appear again."

"Oh, yes," Thorne muses, a frown now on his lips. "Is this not contained?"

"No," the demon replies bluntly. "Not if the look in your eyes says anything."

Thorne's frown deepens at that. A concentrated look appears on his face and the demon watches as that crazed look deep within those icy eyes disappears once again.

"Better?" the soul keeper asks hopefully.

"Worse," Sebastian replies, watching his lover's expression fall. The demon sighs softly, moving one hand to cup the keeper's cheek. "Thorne, how long has this madness been escaping?" Thorne only blinks at the demon, seeming to be confused by the question and Sebastian sighs again, "If you can hide it so easily, I need to know how long this has been happening."

Thorne frowns at that, "I don't know..."

"I don't believe that's the full truth, Thorne," Sebastian says bluntly.