16. The Party

"Hey guys, great news!" Raven says, running into the lounge and waving a letter in the air.

"What is it?" Dagger asks as Jumbo takes his turn in their game of billiards.

"It's from the Queen," Raven says, a wide grin on his lips. "She says the circus can go on as long as you promise there'll be no more... problems."

"I... That's great, Sabre," Wendy says, a smile appearing on her face.

"Aye, it is," Joker adds.

Raven tilts his head in confusion. "What is it? We all love the circus, I thought you'd all be happier."

"Don't get us wrong, Sabre," Beast says. "We're all excited, but without Snake..."

"Snake will be back in a few days," Thorne chimes in. "If all goes according to the most likely future, it will be easy to find him and bring him here."

"What happens, Shadow?" Peter asks. "He'll be alright, right?"

"No injury at all," Thorne replies. "Raven, I believe the Queen sent another letter addressed to me?"

"Oh, yes," Raven says, handing the nearly forgotten letter to the soul keeper.

Thorne reads over it, a small smirk coming to his lips. "As expected."

"Thorne," Raven whines, "Tell what it is."

"Phantomhive is holding a small ball tonight, a test from Her Majesty to see if he still has what it takes to be her guarddog after the stunt he pulled in having Kelvin's manor destroyed instead of saving the children. One of the Queen's own butlers will be there.

"Believing Phantomhive would recognize you, Raven, Her Majesty has asked me to go to this ball in disguise and give her an additional report afterwards. I hope that's alright, your shortness."

"First of all, I told you not to call me that," Raven says, eyes narrowed in annoyance at the nickname. "And won't Sebastian recognize you?"

Thorne nods. "Sebastian will recognize me in any disguise I take, though I can make sure he does not tell Phantomhive."

"How can he recognize you?" Dagger asks. "There are methods of disguise that no one should be able to guess."

"Demons have incredible senses. His scent of smell would recognize me even with cologne, although because we are bonded, he would know it's me anyway."

"Demon?!" Beast says, shocked.

Thorne winces, having forgotten the first-stringer were unaware. "Ah, yes... Raven, you can explain, I'm going to get ready."

He leaves before anyone can protest, disappearing down the hall.

Raven's eyes narrow, a scowl coming to his lips as he shouts, "Thorne!"

The soul keeper's laughter echoes through the manor halls.

"Hello," Arthur says, seeing the approaching stranger.

"I hope you don't mind my interruption of your solitude," Thorne says with a polite smile, brushing a lock of his disguised auburn hair out of his eyes and forcing himself not to grimace at the mask over his face. "You don't seem like a nobleman."

"Oh, I'm not," Arthur says, glancing at the other guests throughout the ballroom. "Frankly, I'm not sure what I'm doing here."

Thorne sits next to Arthur, "Well, would you mind keeping another non-noble entertained?"