20. Party's End

"I say we go today," Raven says, looking outside. "The rain has finally let up and the Phantomhive party will be over. Are you ready, Joker?"

Nervous, the redhead nods. "I believe so, yes."

"Ramsey, you'll be joining us," Raven says. "You'll keep an eye on Joker's back for any unsuspected attacks." Ramsey nods in understanding and Raven continues, "The rest of you stay here. We'll be back by tonight with Snake."

The other first-stringers and servants nod.

"You'll be careful, right?" Doll asks.

"Of course," Joker replies. "We'll come back. We'll all come back."

"How exciting this has been," Thorne says with a closed-eye smile.

"Indeed?" Jeremy Rathbone replies with a raised brow.

"Yes. An exciting game different from the rest of my work." Thorne turns to face Ciel and gives him a bow of his head. "I would be leaving now, Lord Phantomhive, had I not suspected you wish to speak with me."

Ciel nods. "I do indeed wish for a private word, Nicolas. Or would you prefer I call you by your real name, Thorne Crowe?"

Thorne blinks then smiles widely. "Oh my... It seems I underestimated you, Phantomhive..."

"Like your master, I am not completely incompetent on my own," Ciel says strongly. "I assume your friend is also a soul keeper?"

"I am," Melissa replies.

Just then, the manor doors burst open and Arthur runs in panting but alert.

"Did you forget something?" Jeremy asks.

A smile curls Thorne's lips upwards as Arthur recounts his suspicions and the previous day's events. Melissa watches with a smile of her own, and the silent decision to visit humanity more often: they always seem to amuse her.

"Maybe I'll find my own human to bond to," Melissa muses.

"Will you?" Thorne says. "How very exciting. Best find an energetic one to keep up with you."

Melissa scowls playfully. "You—"

"Mr. Alexander, Miss Stirling, would you join us for tea?" Sebastian asks, drawing the pair's attention back.

"Of course," Thorne replies. "We've nowhere else to be. Am I to look forward to learning what's happened here?"

"Yes," Ciel says. "We'll explain everything. Take off the mask first."

"Very well." Arthur watches with wide eyes as Thorne pulls off the mask. Thorne gives the man a warm smile, "My name is Thorne Crowe. Everything else I told is true though. I am currently the butler to a little-known Earl who happens to know Lord Phantomhive."

"Where is he of late anyway?" Ciel asks, leading the way through the manor.

"Home," Thorne replies. "The circus has been granted permission to go on, however we're waiting until we find Snake."

"Gone missing, has he? Estella, get down from there."

"Indeed," Thorne says, watching with an amused smile as his panther puppet jumps down from the thin table along the wall of the hallway. "How did you figure out who I am?"

"Your mannerisms," Ciel replies. "The way you speak and the way you hold yourself. Different but similar to how you normally present yourself. And I caught your glances at Sebastian as Jeremy."

The Queen's PantherOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara