31

February 12, Sunday 2020

[Jaehyun]

Arriving to his and Taeyong's apartment he rushed inside, knowing the elder wasn't home at this hour, doing whatever idols do. He got out his phone, dialing a number as he came into the study room —it used to be a guest room but they don't have guests often enough so they turned it into a study room, a desk and shelf on either side of the room— and put his briefcase on his desk, taking out papers and the phone, wedged between his ear and shoulder, rang until finally, someone picked up.

   "Jaehyun-ah? What a surprise, you don't call often."

   "Sorry Mom, you know I'm busy." He said.

   "Yeah yeah. You don't call me for any reason... did something happen?"

   He nodded before verbally indicating, "Yes, mom, when was the last time you saw Noona."

   "You're sister in laws?"

   "No, not Taeyong's sisters, Noona, Sohyun." Has she not seen her in so long?

   There was a short pause. "Ah... w-why? Why the sudden question?" She seemed, hesitant to answer.

   "I was at the courtroom earlier doing a case, helping a dongsaeng out of a bad situation." He said, staring at the paper he had read over in the car. He took a breathe. "Sohyun Noona was there."

   He heard a small gasp from the other side. She began excitedly rambling, "Really? How is she? Is she alright?! I haven't heard from her in years! What did she say to you—"

   "She was charged with child abuse and child neglect Mom. Among other money related charges. She most likely being transferred to a jail cell along side her husband." He cut her off. On the other side of the phone, the older woman sat shellshocked with a hand over her mouth in a floral pattern chair, a book on the floor, the phone was on speakerphone on the arm of the chair. The headmaid —who has been with the family for decades and seen the Jung kids grow up— was dusting the fireplace, she frozen as well.

   "T-The kid– my grandchild. Where is he?" The mother finally spoke. Hell, she was just told his daughter who she hasn't had contact with in years, over a decade, was being sent to jail. Her old heart doesn't support this.

   Jaehyun reassures his mother, "He's fine mom. He's living nearby with a friend."

   "A friend? Why isn't he with you?!" She immediately worried to his safety, she's never met him, doesn't know his name, but she knows she deeply cares about the grandchild already.

   Fuck. "Well, mom... he doesn't know yet that I'm well, his 'uncle'." Oh god that makes me feel old, "uncle". He gave an involuntary shiver. Oh well, he'll have to accept reality one way or another.

   His mother practice fainted, "He doesn't know!? Make sure he does soon! I want to meet him..." Her voice got quieter on each word. She remembers that day years ago, when her daughter came home with her boyfriend, telling them their pregnancy. She deeply regrets kicking her out, she was blinded by rage that her only daughter had gotten pregnant at a young age, she hadn't even finished college! Since then she hadn't heard from her since she walked out that door; the only related news she heard was Sungseok's death a few years ago, years after he died.

If she counted, her grandchild would be... five, ten, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, eighteen or nineteen. Oh how much she had missed.

Jaehyun thought for a moment, "Okay. You'll meet him by the end of the month." He decides quickly. Without a farewell, he hung up before he got his mothers respond.