Castle Pt. 4

"Matthew. You met Charlie of course. This is Peter. Hes the baby. Rachel is the one after you. Charlie would be next. They theres the twins Adam and Nick, and Skylar, and finally Peter." James smiled.

   "That's a lot." Matthew hummed. "Could I..? " He trailed off.

   "Hold him? Of course!" James smiled and passed Peter over.

   Matthew clutched him close. "Oh gosh hes so small."

   "He is just a toddler." James chuckled.

   "Mhmm." Matthew smiled and looked behind them when he heard mums shoes. He paused and his eyes went wide.

   Mum was walking side by side with Matthieu. He had his arm in hers and was helping her get around carefully. His eyes were tinged red around the edges.

   James turned as well and froze. Can he... See Matthieu?

   "James. I expect you to be hospitable to Matthieu as well." Charlene frowned.

   Matthew was so confused. No one else had been able to see Matthieu. How did she..? How do they?

   "Charlene–"

   "James." Charlene frowned. "Leave the boy alone."

   "Alright Charlene..." James muttered with a wary look.

   Matthieu kept his head down as his hand shook lightly. "I'm sorry I lost your sword."

   James stared. The first thing out of Matthieu mouth was an apology? A shaky one at that. He was trembling still. He wasn't really even alive.

   "Matthieu..." James sighed and riffled his hair. "You're tall. Taller than I am."

   Matthieu paused. "Yeah. I guess." He shifted uncomfortably on his feet again. It hurt still.

   Peter began to fuss and toss in Matthews arms.

   James turned to take Peter. "Hey. Pete."

   Peter didn't calm down. Charlene took him and tried to get him to calm. "Lets continue on. Charlie must have started gossip."

   Matthew nodded. "Coming?"

   Matthieu blinked and nodded. "Yeah." He lifted his feet to float after Matthew.

   James went to lead the way again. This felt like old times. The King. The Prince. And the Knight.