Ghost

AKA The first time Matt reappears to Mattie as a ghost. 

   Matt had been very careful. When he realized what exactly had happened he was quiet. He stayed out of sight even when he was tethered to Mattie. After his... death... Matt spent most of his free time trying to come to terms with everything he did. He killed so many people. He killed the king and queen. He split the Omniverse. He tried to kill Mattie. 

   One night Matt just couldn't hold it in. He had ducked behind a wall in the anti-void while Mattie and Karma slept. Tears built up in his eyes and escaped. He killed all those people. He doesn't deserve to be here. His breathing, not that he needed to breathe it just made things simpler, was labored and harsh. His soul hammered wildly. He was having a panic attack. 

   Mattie had gotten out of bed confused at the sound. Someone was crying. Who could possibly be crying. He turned the corner and froze. There sat a very faded and see through version of Matthieu. A spirit. He was curled into a ball, knees to chest, and hyperventilating.

   Mattie stared at the scene in shock. How is he here? He died. Matthew didn't hold on long enough and he fell into the void. His legs moved on their own and he was kneeled next to Matt in a second. He reached and touched his shoulder. It felt solid yet soft. Not flesh but not incorporeal. 

   Matt jolted and scrambled backwards away from the touch. "Get away!" Tears dripped from his eyes as his eyes blew wide. No. No he promised not to let Mattie see him. Mattie didn't need this.

   Matthew stared at the very clearly frightened and distressed specter in front of him. This was Matthieu? The cold blooded murderer who killed half his race and devastated the Omniverse? No. This was the real Matt. The kind and skittish boy he knew as his friend and brother. The other one was the virus. A manifestation of Matt's pain and fear. 

   "Matt..." Matthew forces calm into his voice. He's still on edge. This could be a trick... But these tears seemed so genuine. He couldn't help his big brother instincts. "Hey. Hey I won't hurt you." 

   Matt stared at Mattie trembling harshly. "Go away. You weren't supposed to see me!" 

   Mattie frowned. "Matthieu. Listen to me."

   Matt flinched and opened his eyes. "What..?"

   "You need to uncurl. It isn't healthy." He murmured quietly resting his hand on Matts shoulder.

   Matt sniffled and uncurled slowly. "Mattie... I'm so sorry-" Matt broke into another fit of tears. He buried his face in the elders shirt. 

   Matt brushed a hand through his hair. So soft. Light as a feather. In the end the two stayed there all night.