Are You Alright?

Matthew was prepared for Cypher or Max or Vi or Matt or even Charlie. He was prepared for Crayola or Seven or perhaps Fortune. He knew how to handle them. He could calm Peter down easily, get Rune back to sleep in half an hour, have either Adam or Nick laughing within minutes. Rachel and Skylar were usually the toughest cases because he had to search for them. But they weren't that hard to calm down once he got to them. 

   When Matthew blinked his eyes open to the soft sounds of crying he expected Max. He didn't expect to see his husband with his back pressed against the wall and his head tucked between his knees. He was trembling and his knuckles were white at his grip on his hair. 

   Matthew pushed himself up worry on his face. His husband hadn't freaked out like this in... Before Matt returned. He shuffled the blankets off and stepped out of bed. "Karma...?" He reached a gentle hand out. 

   Karma flinched away. "Don't touch me."

   Matthew let his hand fall back to his side. He settled down against the wall a few feet away. "Are... Are you alright?"

   Karma looked up. His eyes were red and puffy from crying. "Mhhh... Fortune and I had a fight yesterday, did you know that?"

   Matthew didn't know. Fortune and Karma fighting? That was unthinkable. 

   "It was something stupid. I don't even remember what caused it." Karma forced a watery laugh. "But he was really mad about it and his eyes were red and for..." He swallowed. "For a second he looked just like her..." He trembled even more as a few extra tears escaped his eyes. "I backed down after that..."

   Matthew blinked. "Karma..."

   "I know it's stupid! Fate has been gone for years but whenever Fortune is angry he just... He reminds me of her and its terrifying." Karma wrapped one arm around his knees and gripped his hair in the other hand. 

   "Karma. It's okay..." Matthew whispered still not reaching out. If Karma asked not to be touched Mattie respected that. 

   Karma finally looked over at Matthew. His grip on his hair loosened. "Mattie-" His voice broke off as he made grabby hands. 

   Matthew moved to wrap his arms around Karma and nuzzle close. "You're okay..."

   Karma tightened his grip on Matthew's night shirt. He his his face in the others fluffy hair and sniffled. 

   Matthew rubbed his back lightly. "It's okay... Promise..." He whispered softly pressing a kiss to Karma's cheek. 

   "Mhmm..."