A Conversation

"Uncle Matt... What was it like having the Virus..?" Maxwell asked with a short glance at Viral. 

   Matthieu looked up from his book. "Oh... Why are you asking?" 

   Maxwell shrugged. "Everything important happened before I was born... I was curious..." Maxy had gotten quite used to lying through his teeth. If they found out about Viral they'd try to delete him...

   Viral was a very sentient virus. Much more sentient that the ones embedded inside the triplets. He was also not that bad. He was always there for Maxwell. He was kind of a jerk a lot of the time. He teased Maxwell relentlessly but he was also the first to comfort Max when he had a bad day. If his family knew about Viral they'd say he was like the first Virus... And they'd delete Viral.

   "It uhm..." Matthieu frowned in thought and looked down. "It was dark... and quiet. Like I was blind and deaf to everything but I knew what I was doing. It was suffocating but the Virus had me convinced that was who I was..." Matt stared at the ground. "And that i'd die without him. Heh... Guess that part was true enough."

   Maxy frowned. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to make you sad."

   Matt smiled. "It's fine Maxwell. No one had ever asked before."

   "Thank you for telling me." Max went back to his sketch.