Recovery

"What happened after everything?" Cypher couldn't hold the question back. He wanted to know. 

   Matthew chewed his lip. "What do you want to know?"

   Cypher blinked and thought about that question a bit. "How many people died?"

   Matthew sighed. The hard questions. He couldn't imagine that this was his baby boy... He was so mature and smart. All on his own. "Too many." Matthew folded his arms across his chest to avoid the shiver. His father. Countless innocent people. Cypher almost joined them... 

   It's not something new. Matthew had this experience before. The genocide and the power trip of a sibling. It was just as heartbreaking this time. He wondered briefly how Matthieu was doing about this situation...

   "Father..?' Cypher asked softly. His brows were knitted up a little bit. His expressions were much more telling than his words.

   Matthew shook it off. He'd had his time to grieve for his father. "I'm fine Cyph."

   Cypher nodded and traced the lines on his arms absently. "When can I leave?" He shifted a bit. He was clearly not enjoying this place. It was cold and bright and he wanted his own clothes back.

   "We can go now if you want. I told your dad that we'd see him as soon as you were released." Matthew hummed standing up. His bones crackled strangely. Those years in the dungeon did him bad.

   Cypher nodded and rubbed his arms lightly. He didn't speak. 

   Matthew disappeared outside the room and returned with a set of clothes. "Here you go. I had them specially made. Peter helped me pick out what you wanted."

Cypher took the clothes and ran his hands across the fabric. It was soft to the touch and light. Pants and a jacket. Gloves were included in the outfit. "Thanks." 

   Matthew smiled and ducked out of the room. He had been trying hard these past couple days and yet... Cypher was like a safe under lock and key. Nothing could crack him like it had that first day he was awake...

   Cypher opened the door and clutched the doorframe. He did enjoy these clothes. They covered most of the corruption lines except for the few that poke up from his neck. If he had his sleeves rolled down all the way the ones on his arms would be covered as well. "Father..?"

   Matthew looked up and smiled. "Do you like them?"

   Cypher nodded and fiddled with one glove. 

   "Good. I'm glad. Your dad has been expecting us for ages." Matthew turned to head out before he paused. "Coming?"

   Cypher blinked and nodded following after his father. 

   Matthew walked through the halls idly talking. He didn't mind Cypher not talking. He was just glad to have this time. He could fill the space fine. 

   Cypher frowned. He didn't get it. "Okay. I get it. You're happy that I helped fix things. I didn't do anything deserving of all this though. Why are you being so... weird." The question fell flat. Cypher couldn't think of another way to describe what he meant.

   Matthew stared at his son. "Cypher..." He ran a hand through his hair. How could he phrase this in a way that Cypher would get. "I've been a bad father. I just realized that. You broke down from me saying I was proud of you! I- You shouldn't have to do that. I'm trying to correct my mistakes."

   Cypher blinked the gears in his head turning. He still didn't understand. "You're a good person. You've helped so many people with your power. I just wanted to be like that so I could have what you and Rune had."

   The elder leaned against the wall and tangled his fingers in his hair. Tears dripped down his face. "I know that! I'm saying I was wrong. I wasn't good to you Cypher. I spent far too much time with your sister. I'm trying to say... you don't have to be like Rune. I don't want you to be like her. I want you to stay like this."

   Cypher lifted his hands towards his father but froze. "I don't-"

   Matthew caught his sons hands in his own and held them tightly. He smiled through his tears. "Cypher. I love you for you. You're my son and I'm proud of you no matter what. What you did just made me realize my mistakes." 

   Cypher was silent as his mind screeched to a halt. It clicked. His father didn't look at accomplishments... he looked at what a person was made of. He didn't look at best case scenario. He didn't see Rune as the best choice out of his children. He saw that Rune needed his help more then and now... now his father saw that Cypher needed it more. He understands. "Dad..." His voice cracked on the word. 

   Matthew cupped his sons face in his hands. "You get it now?"

   Cypher nodded as tears began dripping down his face. "I understand-"

   Matthew brushed the tears off. "I am so so glad you chose the right path. I was upset when you had your plan because I believed I had failed you. I am going to be better now. I promise."

   Cypher nodded and closed his eyes just enjoying his fathers touch. "I'm sorry I worried you..."

   "Don't apologize for being brilliant." Matthew wiped his own tears. "Come on. Karma is waiting." He figured that Cypher isn't an overly emotional person. He didn't want to be caught crying here for too long. 

   Cypher sniffled and nodded. "Okay." He smiled walking at his fathers side.