Chapter Four

Mason tossed and turned in bed but sleep was foreign to him

Mason tossed and turned in bed but sleep was foreign to him. He stared up at the ceiling where the white in the dark shone under the faint beams of the white street light on the street away from his circle. The snow was sending a brighter spark than the street light intended to do so. His book lay flat under the night light by her bedside table and his phone quiet. He had tons of notifications to go through but he didn't feel the urge to check. Ben was the one he talked to for a bit before he said goodnight and Mason logged off of his phone. He set his headset on and walked to the window as the song Centuries by Fall Out Boy played in his ears. He started out and opened the window and poke his head. Just as he did so, though his window being on the side of the house, he could turn his head to the left and catch a glimpse of the community circle outside. More evidently, the sight of the Monroe mansion was clearer. And to his curiosity, he saw a figure walking the drive, smoke puffing around them.

He thought for a bit before thinking whether it'd be cool to go see. He debated until he checked his watch and read the time. It was two. Though he decided to ignore, he put on his leather jacket and moved out of his room, wearing his joggers in a haste. He was quiet in reaching the main door and picked up his already stacked snow boots. Sliding them on, he disarmed the door and quietly pulled it open. It was quite chilly outside but he didn't hate it that much. As he walked down the steps to the house, he saw the figure, sitting on the curb now, more puff blow out and around them. He bit the inside of his cheek and looked around. In the darkness, he saw the figure straighten and because of the street light above her, he could guess a girl. He could also guess to be Reina for some reason. He walked slowly around the round curb, and finally crossed the exiting street before reaching her by the other side of it. Raina looked up at him, biting her bottom lip. Her little wave in her fingers, no light sparkling on it. She smelled so strongly of grapes that he could tell that it was the vape she was always puffing.

"Hi. Sorry, I... I saw you out."

"Its alright." She nodded. She didn't offer but he sat on the curb next to her, maintaining a bit of distance.

"How's Gabriel?"

"Fine. Just a little bruise." She stared at her vape and then him.

"I don't mind" He shook his head, surprised that she actually cared about his comfort with her habit. She puffed at it.

"If you don't mind my asking, what're you doing out so late? That too, in the cold." He gulped.

"Waiting for my ride."

"Oh... that's cool." He thought what kind of company was she expecting at this hour. Was she a thug? Did she sell drugs in the night or was she going to hook up with someone?

"You're Mason, correct?"

He nodded.

"Raina. But I'm sure my sister mentioned me already."