Chapter Nineteen

His heart pounded against his chest as he entered the white curved ceiling, white walled, rectangular hall. There were golden creme curtains running the length of the walls on each side and the ceiling had two large chandeliers, running in a row. It wasn't a very big hall since the party was small as well. He walked her along with him across the wooden floor, around the tables and the small dance floor in the middle. He wanted to make her meet his mother and probably hers too so they would know she came. To his luck, he found both his parents, standing together with who seemed to be the Darlings Seniors.

He didn't have to say anything to have his presense known, since his parents noticed him beside the Darlings.

"Raina, I'm so glad you could make it." His father took and shook her hand.

"This is a lovely party." She complimented. He could see a fading smile on his mother's face as she analyzed Raina and suddenly, he wanted to drag her away from them. He loved his parents but his mother was judging Raina before even getting to know her.

"Mum, I'd like you to meet Raina." He introduced, "My date for the evening."

"Its nice to meet you, Mrs. Adler." She grinned. His mother only gave a curt nod.

"Oh, Mason, honey, Sapphire's been looking everywhere for you." Mrs. Darling spoke to him. He blinked and looked back at Raina, was fidgeting with the side of her dress. He elongated his hooked arm behind her back and held her waist. Her eyes widened when he plastered her against his hip.

"Mr. And Mrs. Darling, I want you to meet Raina. My date."

Raina greeted but they didn't. Raina was actually being nice to people and they weren't returning the favor. For once, he was starting to understand her resorting to violence.

"Excuse me, I think we need a drink." He nodded and took Raina away. He was so hurt by his mother's reaction. His father had given the humble reaction he'd expected but his mother hadn't even tried to be kind to her.

"Are you okay?" He asked as they walked.

"I told you Mason." She sighed and paused. He turned to face her, "I don't fit the crowd." She blinked and came closer, "Mason, I'm not ashamed of who I am but there are certain places where my presense is frowned upon. Like a church... or here." She looked around.

"You're gonna leave me here alone then?" He asked, with furrowed brows.

"If I wanted to do that, I would've let you rot in the lounge." She smiled lightly, just... go meddle. I'll go find my mum and the rest." She fixed his collar, "You look good today, smartass."

"Listen to me, I'm not leaving your side. I came here with you and I expect to spend my evening with you, so quit it." He scolded and her brows rose in surprise.