Chapter Twenty-Six

Mason sat in his room with a nice cup of eggnog, staring out at the sky, completely distracted from the dumbbell by his foot on the floor. He'd planned a workout but somehow ending with a bottle of cold eggnog and folded legs on the floor. He couldn't stop thinking about what she'd said the few nights ago.

Brother. She had older brother. A dead older brother who'd been a part of the same as she did. And not just that, he killed himself. He'd killed himself because he couldn't help the pressure. It couldn't stop the scary thoughts from diverting to her direction. Forced into fighting... what if at some point she couldn't handle it either? What would he do then? What could he do for her to make things easier for her. Better for her. Heck, even pull her out of this mess. What could he do to fix all the mess? When he'd first laid eyes on the bad ass beauty, he'd thought that there must be something interesting to her like a biker gang or some cool times on the Pierson Bridge where they held midnight parties but neither was she a party girl, nor was she a gang's girl. No, she belonged to some high end fuckers who made her fight in illegal wrestling matches and basically planned her entire life out for her. Now some of the things she'd said started making sense. She had her life laid out for her and she didn't have a step she could take on her own, except now. She'd said it herself that he was the first step she'd taken with her own will. He was proud to have been that but it also scared him. If he was the first step, how could he take her hand and lead her off the road entirely? He wanted to do that. He wasn't just her friend, he cared immensely for her.

As he took a big gulp out of the box, his phone buzzed and her name blinked on it. Like the typical guy he was, or that's what she said he was, there was a picture of her on the screen, making a gagging face while he took the picture with her hand on his face. A huff of a smirk pulled itself out as he answered and put it on speaker.

"Hey." She spoke.

"Hi." He mustered.

"You've been missing for a week now, stranger. You weren't that horrible." She snickered, though it wasn't amusing. True, it had been a week since he'd met her or even replied to most of her texts. She would text first for the first time and he would only send weak replies like, okay. Goodnight. And take care. He'd flown to Tuscany with his parents for the Christmas and New Year's celebration and had returned a day ago but chose not to tell or call her.

"Sorry. Been busy."

"I heard you're back."

"Yeah. Just came back. Who told you?"

"Saw Alex driving out." She snickered nervously.

"Oh. Okay."

"M-Mason... are we through?"

"What?" His brows furrowed tiredly.

"Nothing." She sighed loudly, "Erm, welcome home." She spoke, "Goodbye." And the cell cut off. He shut his eyes, tired in frustration. He didn't know why he couldn't face her. He was only overwhelmed by the revelation. Her life was a roller-coaster ride and it was annoying how he couldn't understand anything truly. His door was knocked up and he allowed entrance. Ben.