Chapter Twenty-Seven

He watched Gabriel eat and Chloe only swirl a straw in her shake, sitting beside him.

"How about a movie?" He bit his lip.

Gabriel kept munching and Chloe shook her head.

"Chloe, you said Raina's dad." He spoke after a long pause and she looked up, sniffling through her red nose, "What did you... mean by that?"

"I... Rainee would kill me." She shook her head.

"Chloe, I don't push and you know that but... right now, I need to know. Please."

She gulped and looked down at Gabriel.

"Rainee is mum's first husband's daughter. We're mum's... late husband's." She sighed, chewing on her bottom lip, "We didn't even know much about her. Just that, we had a brother and sister in Dublin." She gulped, "Then, when Gabe came, Rainee arrived as well. I was seven, God, I didn't even know her but she was awesome, you know."

Mason nodded. What a fucked life these guys had to lead.

"She's been here five years now and all we've heard about her father is when he calls and mum mentions him. I'd never even met him but he scared the life out of me. Even Rainee's scared of him." She shook her head, "When he showed this morning, Rainee was calm, real quiet. I thought it was because of... well...." She bit her lip.

"Why?"

"Sorry, but she told me you guys broke up this morning."

Mason's lips parted in a gasp. She just declared they were broken up?

"She told you that?"

"Mum and dad as well." She gulped, "Its not true, is it?" She straightened.

Mason clenched his fists, looking at them with agitation.

"Sorry, it's none of my business."

"No. No." He looked up, "Erm, why was he mad? I mean, I heard yelling."

"He came for Rainee. When mum said no, he lost it."

"Wait, he's here to take her away?"

"Yeah." She nodded, frantic, "He wants to take her away. I don't know where."

Mason didn't want to say it but he felt as though the decision could lead to her moving to Ireland. His heart was pounding loud enough to make him deaf. He kept drumming his fingers on his thighs, staring at his phone, waiting for anything. A text, a call or anything in relation.

Suddenly, Chloe's phone rang and her face lit up.

"Rainee!" She gasped.

Mason straightened.

"Really? Awesome!" She laughed, "Okay. Okay." She cut the call.

"Well?"

"She's saying we can come home." She beamed.