Chapter Twenty-Eight

He stood her on the floor by the foot of his bed and made her face him. She was bowing her head and looking away. Her little figure was scrunched in itself and slight shivers pulsed in the air around and through her. Carefully, he raised a hand and removed the cap from the top of her head. She shuddered hard but he caught her with hands on her shoulders.

"Easy." He murmured. She nodded quietly. Crouching his knees lightly, he held the hem of her hoodie and when her arms raised slightly, he pulled it off slowly, moving along the movement of her arms. He threw the hoodie away, revealing her fighting suit.

"This is dirty, you need to take this off." He gulped at the sight of the bruise near her neckline. She gulped and nodded, "Take a shower, too."

She agreed with a bow of her head again. Her arms moved to the back as she walked around him to the bathroom door. He saw that she was fidgeting with the zipper on the back of her top. When he started walking, she pulled it open and he saw her bare back before she disappeared behind the door frame. He blinked and thought for a bit, before eying the cream she'd given him once on his dresser. Picking it up, he walked into the bathroom and froze at the sight of her, holding a towel around her while tapping the droplets of water running down from the shower tap. He placed the cream aside and shut the door. She looked back with a small jump and he kept his eyes locked on hers while taking his shirt off. She eyed his chest and his skin burned. He took more steps closer until he was near enough to lay easy hands on her waist. She looked from them, back up to his face and he could help the pain lingering on his face, mirroring what she was probably hiding.

"I'm so sorry." He whispered, "I got scared. Just for a little bit though."

"I know." She licked her lips and her head tilted, "I didn't expect more from you. It would've been scary if you'd been okay with it in the first go. Just like it is now that you followed us to the ring."

"He hit you, didn't he?" He grazed her left cheek. She shut her eyes and inhaled a deep sigh.

"Dads do that." She mustered a smile.

"Don't give me that bullshit." He fought, "Only abusive fathers can hurt you like this." He frowned.

"Still shouldn't have followed me out, he-man." She snickered.

"I love you."

She froze and looked up with wide eyes.

"Mason..."

"I don't give a fuck what's coming ahead. I don't. It's now or never. And I love you."

"Gigglingly romantic." She tried to joke.

"I'm a romantic. Sue me."

"Why am I dating you?" Her frowns and mocking expressions were the same but dialled to a mellow.