Chapter Thirteen

She was strictly invested in what she was writing. Her brows furrowed and lip chewed between her teeth. Her hat barely gave him a chance to see her face, again and again as she kept lowering her head. Her free, left hand, played with its nail in the air beside her and her right hand, moved like sonic on adrenaline, going crazy here and there. It was like she was mapping something out.

"Ms. Monroe?"

Her head snapped up at Mrs. Berry.

"Yes?" She gulped.

"Am I disturbing your work?"

"No." She answered, sternly.

"Care to explain PCR?" She asked, tapping the screen where it was written, Polymerase Chain Reaction. Raina seemed to thinking for a bit and then she inhaled a deep breath before explaining the whole thing like she'd memorized the speech. Mason pursed his lips, and looked at his book where things were underlined on the page with little notes on the same subject. They'd studied this over the weekend and weren't behind the class. He grinned with crossed arms.

Mrs. Berry remained quiet for a few seconds.

"Pay attention." She ordered and turned back to her lecture. He looked back at Raina and she'd turned back to her page already.

"So what were you doing that was so important?" He asked, catching up to her outside of class.

She didn't say anything.

"Oh, J-"

"Shut up." She groaned and he snickered, "Just some class work for Math." She shrugged.

"I didn't know you liked Math." He teased.

"You didn't even know that I existed until now." She scoffed.

"Funny." He muttered.

"So, when is your first meet?" She smirked. He dropped his head.

"It was supposed to be a surprise."

"Every girl is talking about you being on the swim team this year. Honestly, I thought you'd try out for the basketball team."

"I don't just like basketball. I like swimming too. Heck, i like wrestling as well."

"Then, why didn't you tryout."

"You'll laugh."

"I promise."

He squinted.

"My mum doesn't want me involving myself into anything too..."

"Aggressive?"

He nodded. She pursed her lips.

"Laugh and I'll carry you on my shoulder for the rest the of the way."