chapter 28

Today is parent-teacher evening at Ngiphile's school and for some reason, her dad couldnt join us, he said its something thats work related. Zweli's wife offered to babysit Buhle while we go to the meeting but i was just not comfortable with the idea, dont get me wrong i have absolutely nothing against Bontle but I'm just not comfortable with leaving my son in the care of someone else after what had happened the last time he was at the care of a stranger.

I'm dressed in a red body hugging formal dress which is below the knees with black block heels, a parent always need to look presentable. "Lets go guys!" I call for them as soon as i get downstairs to notice that none of them are done yet. Buhle walks down carrying an overnight bag, he will be staying at Khulu's for the night. We drive out, drop Buhle off first before driving to clayview.

We finally arrive and we are luckily just 5 minutes late but Phile here is already grumpy, my baby hates arriving late for anything. We walk in and take our Seats as the different teachers introduce themselves and address us. After the formalities we get to check the kid's workbooks and I'm very impressed, my daughter really does take after me. "Ms Mthethwa, we meet again", it's in the way this person pronounced my surname that catches my attention.

I turn back and there he stands, Mr Chirinda with a little boy holding his hand, the boy is about Nigphile's age. "Mr Chirinda, hey" he flashes me a smile, I'm sure if i was light skinned i would've turned pink immediately. "Please call me Obrey, what brings you here" i look at him confused then it registers to him, "i mean that was a dumb question, ofcause you are here for the parent-teacher" he lets out a chuckle out of embarrassment.

I smile, "mommy let me go and say hi to mikayla" Phile says before running off to wherever, "she looks just like you" I smile "yours?" He asks, is he for real though, i chuckle , more like laugh while nodding. "I thought you'd say she's your younger sister, i guess you age like fine wine" I'm blushing and i cannot even hide it. Someone clears their throat and when i look up I'm met by Zweli looking at both of us with his right eyebrow raised.

"You made it" i say trying to hide my shock. "I wouldn't have missed an opportunity to meet OUR daughter's teachers" he puts emphasis on the last part before shifting his attention to Obrey. He sizes him from head to toe, gosh what is it with Zweli? He's honestly being weird right now. "Ms Mthethwa, it was lovely seeing you, I'll see you around yeah?" He says while looking at his wrist watch, I nodd with a smile then he walks off.

*Zweli's POV*
I've been spending a lot of my time at work lately, things at home are not all rosey, Bontle constantly compares herself to Amanda up to an extent where she's suddenly so obsessed with us trying out for a child, she even suggested that i cut down my work hours so that i spend more time at home so that we could focus on "starting a family".

Truth is, the way she always brings up Amanda into our arguments has made me spend more time thinking about Amanda, i hate this but i cannot help it, my wife has went as far as assuming that whenever I'm working late it is just my way to play happy family with Amanda and the kids, if she keeps making all these crazy assumptions she might actually lose me.

I love Bontle, thats why she's the one who holds my last name but then again Amanda is the mother of my only kids and how I feel about her will never change but for some reason Bontle expects me to hate Amanda just to feed her insecurities.

I drove from work straight to Ngiphile's school because honestly i hate disappointing my little girl so i pull all stops to make sure that she and her younger brother are always happy.

My blood boils as soon as i walk into the classroom to find Amanda all cosy and all smiles with some random guy, they seemed to have known each other from way before this meeting and i honestly dont like how she looks at him, she only used to look at me like that. As much as her and I are no longer an item but i cannot bring myself to think about her being with another man.

She seemed shocked by how I reacted but who cares? As long as this guy is out of her face. We wrap up and drive off, I'm driving behind her and since it's friday she first drops Ngiphile off at her parents house before driving to her estate. We drive in with me following after her, we both park in her driveway. She gets out of her car and expects me to roll down my window but instead I get out of my car too. "And then?" She asks, i just chuckle, "i need the bathroom" i lie, truth is I just want to spend as much time away from home as possible.

We both walk in. She goes to the kicthen while i find a near by bathroom. After pretending to be doing my business I find her in the kicthen chopping onions wearing an apron and slippers with the same dress she wore earlier. I'd love to come home to this sight everyday. Well my wife hired a cook, i mean i enjoy the food he prepares but it's always nice to have food prepared at served by your wife.

"How long have you been standing there for?" She asks, i just smile and walk to one of the high chairs, "what are you making?" I ask, ignoring her question. "Just pap, grilled sausages and tomato relish" anything with pap is definitely my favourite i haven't had a meal fit for a man since the last time i went home, my wife avoids carbs.

"You can stay over for dinner if you like" she says smiling, i guess she notices thst I'm drooling over the food as she prepares. I get off the high chair then walk over to the sitting room, remove my suit jacket and my shoes before getting comfortable. I switch to crime investigative channel and a few moments later she walks to me with a tray of food, warm water and a damp dish cloth. This has to be one of the things i miss most about being with Amanda.

I thank her, she walks back to the kitchen then comes back holding a tray with her food, a jar of juice and 2 glasses. We eat in silence and just like how i remembered, her food still hits the spot, i cleaned out my plate not only because i was famished but because of how delicious the food was.

She took the plates to the kitchen then came back to pour me juice. We sat in comfortable silence while both focused on the tv. "Well I'm about to go to bed now"she says, i guess thats my cue to leave. "Alright I'll get going" i wear my shoes and grab my jacket while she leads the way to the door.

When we get to the door i lean in for a kiss,one that I've been hoping for since we stepped into her house. I lean in "what are you doing Zweli?" She pushed me away, I'm confused, i thought she wanted this. "I thought this is what you wanted?" I respond still confused. "What? So being civil with you for the sake of the kids gives you an impression that I want to sleep with you? Respect your wife Zweli. Please leave"