XXV. death meets the step-mother-fucker

0025

0025. | DEATH MEETS THE
STEP-MOTHER-FUCKER

If Vela didn't have travel sickness before experiencing Leo's driving, he certainly did after. It wasn't that Leo was a poor first time pilot of the helicopter, actually, he was rather good, the issue lied in the fact that the moron had driven them straight into a storm. Vela had elected to calling Leo a moron only in his head because he was sure if he opened his mouth to insult the son of Hephaestus, the only thing that would fly from his mouth would be projectile vomit.

His chest still ached from the broken bone that had turned to a bruised bone, and his head was still dizzy from being electrocuted, but Leo's piloting had to be the worst thing that had happened to him that day. Jason, who had been asleep, was jolted awake, and thrown immediately into Adonis who had been tossed about by the metal container. With his lack of experience regarding helicopters, he hadn't had the sense to hold on when the storm hit. Vela, on the other hand, had clung to the back of Piper's seat like his life depended on it. Jason staggered himself over to copy Vela and attached himself to Leo's seat as they were thrown about. Vela reached a daring hand out and caught the back of Adonis's sweatshirt, using it to yank the boy to safety.

"An ice storm?" Piper shouted over the deafening sounds of the engine. "Is it supposed to be this cold in Sonoma?"

Vela shook his head furiously, not trusting his voice. Jason relayed the message of hell no to the group for Vela's sake. Clearly Jason didn't want Vela hurling either. "No, not at all." He said. "We've got to be getting close." Jason tried to peer through the sleet that battered the windshield. It was like the snowstorm was attacking them.

Leo didn't answer, too busy fighting the gearstick which Vela didn't conclude to be their main priority when his stomach flew to his mouth as they dropped altitude suddenly. A groaning sound like stifled nausea elicited from Vela's clamped shut mouth and both Jason and Adonis ducked away from him. Vela's vision was swaying, but focused enough for him to spot a glimpse of white marble through the storm. He pointed wildly at it and Adonis caught on.

"There, Leo!" Adonis yelled over the noise. "The temple's there!"

Leo began to lower the helicopter, bringing it so close to the top of the cliff where the broken temple stood that they could almost see the details of the fighting. Amongst the storming snow and hail were glimpses of silver parkas and shooting arrows. The Hunters.

Vela didn't have long to scan the battlefield, because, at five meters altitude, Leo called the shot. "Out!"

Vela didn't have a chance to gather his bearings before he grabbed Adonis's human (easily damageable) body into his chest and launched them from the helicopter. Vela twisted them midair so he would be the one to hit the ground. His back skidded against the snow and dirt, the pair thudding against the cliff and sliding back so far Vela nearly tore his shirt from the rubble. He groaned, throwing his head back against the ground at the same time that the helicopter exploded. Vela's arms acted on instinct, wrapping across Adonis's shoulders and over his head, shielding the mortal from the feedback of the explosion.