VII. secrets, secrets, so many secrets

0007

0007. | SECRETS, SECRETS,
SO MANY SECRETS

          Vela hated inspections. Silena usually carried them out, and although the Stoll brothers would argue the toss, Silena was definitely harshest with her siblings.

          Silena was a neat freak, a trait she tried to force upon Vela, but he was taught well by Annabeth; chaotic organisation is the only organisation. Silena, however, didn't believe in such a thing. So Vela found himself tidying his bedside at such speed his arms were a blur to rearrange his astrology books.

          But he was missing one. The Scorpio edition. Vela's eyes skipped over his cabin to see it barely tucked underneath the bed sheet of Drew's mattress. She hadn't asked to borrow it. Vela rolled his eyes, holding his hand out, palm up, pointed at the book. He felt a tug in his stomach and the rush in his bloodstream as the awaiting book flew into his hand, ready for him to place down on his pile.

        "Di immortales,"

          Vela jumped nearly a foot in the air at the sight of Quintus, the new swordsman, a son of Athena, standing in the doorway of Cabin Ten. Quintus was an odd man and ever since his arrival at camp, Vela had done his best to avoid the man. Now, it seemed he had no choice. Especially since his little magic trick that he was sure Quintus had seen.

Quintus had a small smirk on his face, like his lips were barely lifting with curiosity. His left eye twitched. Vela figured it was an Athena thing.

          Under his fierce stare, Vela forced his chin up when all he wanted to do was duck his head. His olive cheeks flushed red which he tried his best to ignore but that was easier said than done. That little magic trick was something Vela had been practicing on his own for at least two months.

           It had started when Annabeth had suggested that Silena taught him the magic of Aphrodite. After the first lesson, it was obvious he was a professional at the magic. Vela was able to change his face into that of Mr D's with a scrunch of his face and a twitch of his brow. His hair almost got stuck blue but Silena had helped him fix it, and he was able to use minimal charmspeak that barely worked.

          But this introduction to magic had peaked his interest and within a matter of months, telekinesis with small objects was a piece of cake to him. The only issue being that he hadn't told anyone, and now he had been caught red handed by a camp official.

           "Can I help you?" Vela asked politely, but his English voice forced all of his words to have a questionable undertone of sarcasm. He didn't mean to sound so abrupt, but Quintus, apparently, hadn't noticed. Thank titans.