XIX. the transformation of child to warrior

0019

0019. | THE TRANSFORMATION
OF CHILD TO WARRIOR

          Happiness was a foreign concept to Vela. He had once if wondered Eutychia, the greek goddess of happiness, had been set up to taunt him with it. At every step of his life, he'd been teased with happiness; a touch; a brush; a glimpse of elation before it was snatched away so cruelly. But now—now still with the tingling of Nico's lips on his, Vela was so sure he was completely, utterly encapsulated by happiness. He felt it embracing him, warming him like a fire, thawing away the ice he had felt in the sky, the paleness of life before him, and replaced it all with unbridled joy.

         So when Percy asked, "What's got you grinning?" Vela was torn between screaming the news to the world, and keeping it just as a secret to himself and his other half - the utter encapsulation of his happiness.

         "Just happy to be alive." He answered with his muted smile that he hoped hid his elation from the Fates' watchful stare. He hoped he could hold onto this happiness - cling to it - for as long as possible.

Percy nodded without awareness and Mrs. O'Leary sniffed all over Vela like he was smothered with underworld-ly scent and Vela knew he must have been. But he didn't mind; in fact, the very thought made him smile. His knowing smile that he was covered with happiness, carrying it with him as they travelled.

And that smile stayed throughout the whole journey. The taxi they hailed didn't mind Vela hanging his head out the window the whole time, so he could keep an eye on Mrs. O'Leary, but also just because he liked to hang his head out the window. Vela was sure the only thing stopping Percy from making dog jokes were his attempts at calling Annabeth from a cellphone he said he got from his mom when Vela asked.

          The first call went to voicemail, the second time, the daughter of Athena picked up.

Percy had to lean out of his own window so Vela wouldn't tackle him with his excited bouncing. He couldn't remember the last time he'd seen Annabeth! He wanted to speak with her, to hug her, to tell her how much he missed her, but also all she had missed. Those midnight moments and daylight dreams he had felt in his twelve months of freedom. He wanted her to know it all, even though he was sure a phone call wouldn't be enough to spread his happiness to her.

         "Hey," Percy talked into the phone, swatting Vela's eager hands away from trying to snatch the cellphone for his own. "You get my message?"

          "Percy, where have you been?" Annabeth demanded and Percy had to press his foot against Vela's stomach to keep him away. The driver gave them an odd look in the rear view mirror but shrugged it off like pfft, brothers... "Your message said almost nothing! We've been worried sick!"