VI. the star finally finds his home

0006

0006. | THE STAR FINALLY
FINDS HIS HOME

Apollo had an obnoxiously nice car that was crowded by teenagers when they got to it, and after shooing them away, Apollo had them up in the sky on their way to Olympus. He had cranked up his radio with his self-made music, showing off to Vela his mixtapes but Vela couldn't concentrate.

He wanted Nico.

          If there was a possible worst way for Nico to have reacted to Vela telling him that they were soulmates, this probably wasn't it - but it was still pretty awful. Sure, Nico could've flipped out and punched him, or called on the dead to strangle him; but somehow, his coldness had been so much worse.

Vela knew about Nico's childhood, he had helped him discover his roots and he knew how hard it would for Nico to think of him in the same way that Vela thought of him. He knew that Nico may not ever be able to love him like he loved him, but had hoped maybe they could still have been friends; but that proposal had only angered Nico which was the exact opposite of what Vela wanted to do.

He wanted to shut off Apollo's music, and turn the flying car around so that they could go back for Nico but Vela was torn. Nico had told him to go. What if Nico didn't want him anymore?

"We're here."

Apollo's voice made him jump. He hadn't spoken for the whole trip which Vela was thankful for, but now as he looked out of the windshield, he got a little nervous. Vela had kind of wished he'd spent the time making friends with Apollo, so he wouldn't be alone in Olympus. Plus, he guessed he wasn't Zeus's favourite minor god with his recommendations for the king's placement of his bolts and his encounter with Thalia Grace.

But all those worries disappeared when Vela saw Olympus.

It was massive. Temples and castles were stacked upon each other, making way for grand statues and fountains and olive trees and rivers and waterfalls. It was the grandest place Vela had ever seen.

"Now, listen," Apollo leant over the gap between their seats, leaning in a little too close for comfort but Vela ignored it. "this place might not be like you imagined but it's okay. Poseidon's in the ocean so you won't meet him, and Athena and Artemis and Hephaestus are in Indiana trying to slow down Typhon so you won't be seeing much of them either. But your mom is here-," the rest of Apollo's words blurred into nothing. How had Vela forgotten about his mom?

"My mum? My mum's here?" He interrupted whatever Apollo was going to say.

"Aw, I love that accent!" Apollo distracted. "Is it real or just to go with the whole sexy-noble-dude look?"

"It's real." He said uncomfortably.

Apollo leant back in his driver's seat with overdramatised anguish. "Oh!" He cried. "That's so much better!"