XI. the battle of testosterone, continued

0011

0011. | THE BATTLE OF
TESTOSTERONE, CONTINUED

           Vela dreamt of Nico.

           It wasn't hard, he felt as if there was always a part of himself that was constantly focused on what Nico was doing or might be doing. He supposed it was the beautiful blessing of being soulmates.

           Nico was crouched behind a boulder twice the size of him in an area Vela felt as if he should recognise. He ignored the location though, for the simple fact that Nico was there and he had missed him so much. Nico's gorgeous face was dead set in a concentrated scowl and he gripped his Stygian iron sword by his side. The blade rested against the grass and killed it, the black essence of the blade seeping into the ground and turning it yellow.

           "Neeks," Vela whispered and Nico flinched. He snapped his head over to Vela, elongating his sword until the tip of the blade was pointed between Vela's eyes. Vela gulped. "You still mad at me?" He asked.

Nico's eyes widened with recognition and he dropped his sword, indenting the grass. "Vel..." he gasped. Vela thought he was going to kick him but instead, Nico launched himself at him. Vela caught him and his arms wrapped around his neck, Vela thought he was trying to strangle him, but he wasn't. He hugged him. Vela wrapped his arms around his middle and squeezed him so tightly he might've crushed Nico's ribs. Nico hugged him tighter.

"You're not mad?" Vela mumbled into his neck. Nico shook his head, no. Vela smiled. "Good." He said. "Just checking."

Nico pulled back from the hug, still holding him. "You left." He accused. Vela winced.

"I know." He said. "I'm so sorry. I really am, I didn't mean to be gone for so long, I—!" Nico cut him off, scanning his face.

"What in my father's name happened to your eye—?" He hissed, keeping his voice low for some reason. Vela scratched the back of his neck nervously. He didn't want to lie to Nico, but that didn't mean he couldn't bend the truth.

"My mum fixed it." He told him. "When I went to Venice, she was there. Phobos and Deimos too. They're nice, you'd like them—only a tiny bit sadistic." He described and as he spoke, Nico's hand raised from his neck and rested on his cheek. Vela could feel himself blushing as Nico's fingertips grazed over the golden scar on his eye like he was memorising the new way in which Vela's face formed. "I came back Tuesday, but you were gone by the morning. I didn't get to see you..."

A smirk played on Nico's lips. Vela was mesmerised by it. "Did you miss me?" He asked, sounding teasing but Vela could hear his vulnerability. Nico wanted to know if Vela missed him as much as he had. Vela was disappointed in himself that he hadn't shown Nico enough attention that Nico even had to ask. Of course he missed him. Nico was all that he could think about, always.