VI. a silent wish from all the way down there

0006

0006. | A SILENT WISH FROM
ALL THE WAY DOWN THERE

          Vela was an aching mess. Mostly because Annabeth kept smacking his arm every time he tried to speak because she didn't want him overexerting himself, especially on his throat. Percy hadn't sat with him and had taken the furthest seat away from him that he could, both he and Jason keeping their distances out of guilt. Vela couldn't speak to tell them that it was fine, and so the boys struggled to lift the guilt from their expressions the entire evening.

          Truly, Vela didn't blame them. He understood that they hadn't been themselves when they attacked him, same as he knew that Leo wasn't himself when he attacked Camp Jupiter.

          Vela could hardly blame them for something they couldn't control, but that didn't mean that his body didn't hurt like he'd been stamped on by a Hekatonkheires and that he wasn't shivering and twitching from the static that remained in his veins from Jason's electrocution.

          Annabeth had tried to get him to drink almost pints of Nectar, but Vela had to force her to stop, because although she meant well, unless Ambrosia and Nectar were being fed straight into the blood in his veins, it didn't really do much to heal him like it did demigods. As a god, all Vela got from Ambrosia and Nectar was a good feeling and a nice flavour, it didn't have any particular healing benefits useful to him. Annabeth knew that, of course, but she hated the fact that there was nothing she could do to help him heal faster.

          At least his wounds were already starting to scab. By the time morning came, they'd likely be sensitive scars. Hopefully.

          Piper had drawn the short straw of telling everyone what had happened in Kansas. She had given a sobbing account when they had arrived back on the ship with Blackjack, but Jason and Percy still weren't one hundred percent understanding what it was that had happened. In Vela's vocal absence, Piper relayed every detail.

          "—and once he knocked Jason out," Piper listed, "he punched Percy, to get him to stop as well, but..." She glanced across the table to Vela to double check. "But we still don't know what it was that possessed you both."

          Vela waved his hand frantically suddenly like he was back in school trying to answer the question in History class. Annabeth looked at him oddly. "Eidolons!" He cried out, but with his poorly throat and stitches, it came out as "Eye-schal-lonns!"

          Annabeth blinked. "I'm not even going to pretend I know what you said."

         "Eidolons!" Vela tried again, but once more all that was heard was, "Eye-shal-lonns!"