V. the worries of athena's daughter

0005

0005. | THE WORRIES OF ATHENA'S DAUGHTER

Annabeth always believed that the greatest fear of Athena's children was spiders, which she did recognise to be, in fact, utterly terrifying. But after seeing a six foot tall werewolf with rippling muscles and charcoal fur the colour of ashes, she began to rethink her rankings.

Annabeth hadn't a clue how such a harrowing monster could have breached the camp's borders, especially with the revitalisation of the perimeter thanks to the Golden Fleece.

This monster was horrifying, a creature she had never seen before but only heard stories of, a monster of a curse and agony; a lycanthrope.

           Chiron had explained what had happened, apparently Dionysus had received a warning from Olympus but hadn't thought it prudent to pass it on and instead had spent his night passed out over a game of Pinochle. Chiron had only heard of it the morning after the incident, but then it was too late.

           Aphrodite had bewitched one of Artemis's hunters with a love spell to fall in love with a human, therefore forcing her to forsake her vows. In retaliation to this, Artemis had appeared as a wolf and outside Camp borders and lured Vela out to bite him and curse him with lycanthropy.

          Chiron was keeping Annabeth and Silena updated with the happenings on Olympus, but at that time, there was no sign of any agreements between Artemis and Aphrodite, both of them refusing to speak to each other, other than to curse and squabble.

          Annabeth couldn't believe it. Artemis was a kind goddess; she had taken the sky for Annabeth, why had she cursed Vela for an atrocity his mother had committed? Annabeth thought Artemis would have had more sympathy than that.

          She was wrong. Gods will be always be gods.

          Annabeth was foolish to think otherwise. Gods were selfish and the comatose boy asleep in the Infirmary was just another prime example.

          Doctor Will Solace had been healing Vela to the best of his abilities, him and Silena being the only campers other than Annabeth to know of Vela's condition. Chiron made them swear to not tell a soul about Vela's curse. At this time, it was dangerous for anyone else to know.

           The poor son of Aphrodite had been in the Infirmary for a day and two nights, Chiron having claimed with his aeons of knowledge that Vela would need time to recover from his first transition.

           Apparently, not many survived the transitions and so for a person to emerge as a werewolf as Vela had was incredibly surprising. Annabeth hoped that meant he would wake up soon and survive. She knew he was strong, strong enough to do this.