V. is six months too short to finally say it?

0005

0005. | IS SIX MONTHS TOO
SHORT TO FINALLY SAY IT?

          Vela didn't want to be biased and to say that the Romans were boring and had no concept of fun, but the Romans were boring and had no concept of fun.

          He had come to this conclusion when Nico had let him know that he wasn't allowed to take part in the camp's War Games. Apparently Hannibal the giant elephant could play, but having Vela on the playing field was an "unfair advantage to the Fifth Cohort". What it was was a load of bollocks, but given that Vela was under the alias of a mute wolf, he couldn't exactly object.

          He was stuck with just watching from afar with Nico which he pretended to be grumpy about for Percy's sake because the son of Poseidon seemed very reluctant to be spending so much time apart from him especially after two months of the two practically being joined at the hip, but he was secretly very happy about the arrangement. Vela was clinging to every opportunity he could get to spend time with Nico. Even if that was watching some incredibly violent and unromantic War Games.

          Vela wanted to say that he was paying attention to the bloodshed and the fighting happening amongst the teenagers, but he was too distracted. He and Nico were covered by the tree line where they were so they could be comfortable. Vela had laid his head over Nico's lap and Nico was hugging his head, scratching over his forehead and behind his ears so soothingly Vela's brain was surely turning to mush. He barely clocked how Percy was blasting Romans with water cannons.

           "They're in the fort." Nico updated him. He had been closely watching the games as Vela almost fell asleep in his lap. Vela feigned interest, his nose twitching in the direction of the games' field. "I can't see them."

            Vela made a grunt that he hoped was one of interest, but really he just wanted Nico to keep scratching his head.

            That was, until they were interrupted by the shrieks of victory. Vela's head perked up, Nico sitting up straight beside him. "They won?" He frowned, obviously confused. Apparently it wasn't commonplace for the Fifth Cohort to be on the winning side of anything, least alone the actual winners. "Oh my gods, they won."

            The crowds of campers emerged from the fort where they had all concentrated to in the thick of the fight, and in the dead centre of them were Percy, Hazel, and Frank being cheered and clapped on the back. Clasped in Frank's hand was a flag of victory.

          Reyna circled ahead on her peanut butter coloured pegasus. "The game is won!" She declared. "Assemble for honours!"

          "Come on." Nico said, getting to his feet with Vela. The two raced down the hill to meet Percy and Hazel, Frank lost in the crowds of compliments and praise.