XIV. travel sickness and dragons really aren't his thing

0014

0014. | TRAVEL SICKNESS AND
DRAGONS REALLY AREN'T HIS THING

Vela was halfway through his shower before he heard the dragon.

It was a great shame. Vela was a big fan of showers, he loved getting clean, exfoliating, conditioning his hair; it was definitely a maternal trait. Getting interrupted whilst he was rinsing his conditioner out—? Probably the most irritating thing that could happen to an immortal god.

Vela grumbled to himself for the inconvenience of the camp being attacked (seriously! Couldn't the dragon try and eat Travis and Connor when Vela was in the mood for a fight rather than when he had a hair mask on?). He yanked back Percy's blue shower curtain and grabbed his towel which he had brought from cabin thirteen (he had a white one, Nico's was black) and wrapped it around his hips. With one hand on his towel, the other snatched his spear from around his neck and ran as it elongated at his side, his wet feet slapping on the floor.

           A mechanical screech made Vela's sensitive ears wince. He could hear shrieks and shouts of campers outside and someone yell "People of Earth, I come in peace!" and Vela ran so fast the shower water barely had a chance to fall off of his racing body. He leapt over Percy's bed and dodged Tyson's bunk, running to the green just in time for a bronze wing to come swiping at him.

           "Woah, man, duck!"

           Vela didn't need the warning to know ducking was the best idea, but still, it was appreciated. He dropped to the ground of the cabin three porch, skidding over the wood and nearly flashed the whole camp if it weren't for his hand holding his towel up.

           A head of brown curls popped up into Vela's vision suddenly. Leo. "Hey, you okay?" Leo offered Vela a hand up. "Festus didn't mean it. He's got a nervous temperament. Cool spear by the way."

          Vela arched a brow at Leo and rejected his offered hand. "I've kind of got my hands full." Vela retorted and Leo's eyes followed downwards until he realised the towel Vela was holding up and his dripping wet body. Leo blushed brightly but he wasn't the only embarrassed one. Vela couldn't believe he was standing nearly naked in front of the entire camp. Vela looked the dragon up and down. "Fuck me..." He muttered to himself and ran a hand through his wet hair.

"Woah, man, you can't say stuff like that!" Leo frowned, his face creased with an inconceivable expression.

Vela winced. Sometimes he forgot not everyone enjoyed cursing as much as he and Annabeth. "Oh, I'm sorry." He apologised. "Do you not like swearing?"

Leo looked at him like he was crazy. "No, I don't care about that." Leo said. "I was just expecting a load of girls to jump you with an invitation like that." Vela's eyes widened and his cheeks darkened with shock at Leo's forwardness.