XXIII. the grand protection of a spy

0023

0023. | THE GRAND
PROTECTION OF A SPY

When Percy got the call, Vela felt his heart drop. It's Annabeth, she's not in a good shape. Silena had told them from a cellphone she found off of a sleeping New Yorker. Come quick, she said. Bring a healer.

Vela didn't think twice to grab Will. They grabbed a Yamaha FZI from a sleeping biker and Vela told Will to take Percy on it to the Plaza, their new base. He had tried to argue, but Vela had already transformed into his wolf form to run alongside them.

He couldn't tell if he was just running fast, because it had happened before, but Vela's vision was a blur. He felt a little lightheaded and for a second he saw two front left paws instead of one, but then they blurred together so he assumed he was probably fine.

He just needed to make sure Annabeth was okay and his friends were safe, and then he could sleep it off.

Unfortunately, they were stopped. Vela hadn't noticed before, but all around Manhattan, the statues that were usually decorated across the city were gone, leaving only their pedestals. The one by the Plaza was animated before them as a guard, and judging by her bronze glare at them, she was probably allergic to dogs.

"Oh, fine." The statue huffed, swinging her legs off of the edge of her pedestal, a basket of metal fruit suspended on her lap. "I suppose you want me to watch your bike and your pet, too!"

Vela snorted huffily and Will tightened his lips into a thin line so he wouldn't laugh. I'm not a pet, I'm a wolf! Vela wanted to say, but it just came out a chorus of barks and whines.

"Are you supposed to be Demeter?" Percy asked and Vela guessed the answer was no when a bronze apple was thrown at the son of Poseidon's head. Vela felt an urge to chase after the apple and play fetch but he shook the wish away. He could play fetch when the war was over.

"Everyone thinks I'm Demeter!" She scowled. "I'm Pompona, the Roman goddess of plenty, but why should you care? Nobody cares about the minor gods. If you cared about the minor gods, you wouldn't be losing this war! Three cheers for Morpheus and Hecate, I say!"

Vela tilted his head in agreement. She had a point. The Olympians always used them for their own gain. Zeus acknowledged how powerful Vela was -powerful enough to destroy the Olympians' greatest enemy - and still he sent him to his death without a care because he was minor.

"Well actually," Percy said. "Vela here is a minor god, and he's on our side, so..."

Pompona looked him up and down. "Vela? Never heard of him. He must be a greek!" She sneered the insult and Vela growled, unable to speak the many insults he wanted to hurl her way.