XXVII. you and me

0027

0027. | YOU AND ME

          Despite being able to see the bonds of affection between people, Vela never really took it upon himself to understand a definition of such affection. He understood for some that it meant their heart hammering at every moment, for others it was a certain calm tranquility that only their significant other could bring, some even found it to be a suave easiness to conversation, but there was one certainty about it—that everybody understands affection differently. But not Vela.

            He was sure that he didn't suit just one way of loving. He felt it all when he was with Nico. He felt his heart hammering through his chest, trying to reunite with Nico's, their hearts that were forged together from the same atoms at the start of the universe, made to be together, made to beat for one another. He felt that calm tranquility too, the feeling of pure contentment in his presence like the whole world could be destroyed and he wouldn't care so long as Nico was with him. He felt suave easiness too, that instinct to flirt and charm and be the cause of the beautiful blushing skin on his cheeks, to be something for Nico to marvel at and be proud was his. He felt every affection in the entire world for Nico.

            And lying there in bed beside him, one arm rested under his head, the other draped over his middle, trailing patterns up and over the ridges of his spine, Vela was only made certain of his affections. Even with his bruising face and sleeping eyes that had turned black and purple from his damaged nose like nebulae spread through the sky, Vela was sure nothing could make the boy in his arms any more perfect for him.

          Vela paid no mind to the ticking clock nor the high rise sun that battled through the curtains, so clearly telling him they had slept well into the afternoon of the next day. He paid no mind to any of it, he just concentrated on Nico, holding him, soothing him, watching him, memorising him.

          He didn't know how long it took for Nico to stir, but with the slow shift in his steady heartbeat and the fluttering of his eyes, Vela let a small smile grow. "Morning," he whispered, careful to not upset Nico's peaceful state. The first thing Nico did was wince, his face creasing as he felt the damage to his nose and Vela's heart clenched at the sight of him in pain. "Neeks, you okay?" He brought his arm that had been drawing patterns on his back up to his face, holding his cheek in his hand, brushing his thumb delicately under Nico's eye where the bruising had spread.

Nico had shifted, his hands grasping Vela's t-shirt with fists. "It hurts," Nico's voice cracked with a deep raspiness that came with heavy sleep and Vela focused all his willpower not to focus on Nico's morning voice, concerning himself with his likely broken nose instead.

"Does it feel broken?" Vela asked.

Nico frowned. "How can I tell?"