XIV. you've got some explaining to do

0014

0014. | YOU'VE GOT
SOME EXPLAINING TO DO

Nico sat slumped against the column, broken silver cuffs by his leg abandoned. He couldn't stop shuddering every time the pretty boy's screams erupted from the woods and it seemed everyone else felt the same. They were all silent. Even Geryon, which was a feat in itself as he stood silently barbecuing as if he hadn't just unleashed life shattering information.

Nico had never seen nor met Vela before, but there was something about him that was so obvious that he was a son of Aphrodite. He didn't know if it was his floppy ash brown hair that looked good no matter how the wind blew or his freckles that looked pale like constellations dancing around his golden scars. Nico thought he was gorgeous and he hated that. He hated that he was being consumed by thoughts of Aphrodite's son rather than the things that were important like getting Bianca back. He had to stay focussed on family, not gods he probably would never see again from running off into the woods.

          The sizzling of Geryon's meats on the barbecue was driving Nico insane, the spitting and searing echoing through the silence of the room and he could feel himself getting frustrated.

          "Is it true?" Annabeth's soft voice asked. It had been a while since Vela had run off to transition and they were all in shock. It wouldn't be a surprise if Geryon had lied about Vela's divinity just to anger him (it worked), but they all wanted to know the answer to that question.

          Geryon glanced up, his smug smile on his face still there though slightly wavered from Vela's outburst. The son of Aphrodite had proven himself to be frightful when he was angry. Nico couldn't explain the feeling he felt when he saw Vela glowing through his t-shirt golden from scattered scars that marred all over his body. Nico didn't like how much it bothered him that Vela had scars. It was like he didn't want this stranger to be hurt.

"According to my sources..." Geryon nodded ominously and they fell back into silence.

Orthus shifted towards Nico and he sneered, not liking the two headed dog that close to him. Eurytion didn't seem to care though, just sitting at the picnic table, cleaning his nails with a knife.

"Let them go!" Percy suddenly burst into the room, obviously out of breath from running up the stairs. "I cleaned the stables!" He shouted, glancing nervously at the silver chains that were abandoned on the floor and the missing son of Aphrodite.

Geryon turned to him slowly, clearly his mind elsewhere. "Did you now?" He speculated. "How'd you manage it?"

Percy looked like he was refraining from rolling his eyes but explained all the same, having used petrified seashells to create water and flush out the stables. It was clever. And powerful.