XXIX. he made it hard to concentrate

0029

0029. | HE MADE IT HARD
TO CONCENTRATE

Vela couldn't decide if he liked how nervous he made Nico. He could hear how his heart hammered whenever he went near him, and he didn't know if he liked having that effect on him, or if he hated it. The thought of him making Nico uncomfortable or anxious was tricky. He wanted to like it, he wanted to know that Nico felt the same way about him, but he also didn't want him to feel anything other than contentment around him.

His heart was torn just like the cross roads they had come across.

          The tunnel they had been following suddenly cut off like a T. Normally, they would've followed straight after Rachel but she had faltered, and Vela nearly tripped into Annabeth. Wow, he could imagine how cool that made him look in front of Nico.

Vela stumbled back and glanced down the tunnel that Rachel was shining her torch at. Oh no. "Guys..." he murmured. "We've got to go." He said desperately but Rachel was entranced by the tunnel.

"There's something evil down that tunnel." Rachel said. "Something very powerful."

Vela began to feel twitchy. Normally, he wasn't too bothered by danger, obviously he got nervous like any normal person, but this time it felt different. A primal instinct burned inside him and he realised why when he looked at Nico. Vela was scared he could get hurt.

"And the smell of death." Nico added, tapping his foot. Vela wondered why he did that.

"Luke's entrance." Annabeth realised. "The one to Mouth Othrys - the Titan's palace."

"Guys, please," Vela begged. "can we keep going? I don't like this."

"I have to check it out." Percy said.

"No." Vela said immediately but Percy shrugged him off.

"Luke could be right there!" He argued. "Or... or Kronos. I have to find out what's going on."

"No, you really don't!" Vela rebutted him. "Percy, this is so dangerous, we can't risk it - we have to keep moving."

Annabeth hesitated. "Then we'll all go." She offered, ignoring what Vela had warned. He threw his hands up in the air and ran them through his hair. He could feel Nico's eyes on him so he tried to calm down but it was difficult.

"No." Percy denied her. "It's too dangerous. If they got hold of Nico," Vela held in his growl for that idea. "or Rachel for that matter, Kronos could use them. You stay here and guard them."