chapter nine

Coralines POV

I woke up the next morning and stretched as i sat up yawning, feeling disappointed that it was only a dream. I do find it weird that i keep dreaming of that place but maybe its just the whole 'new house' thing thats causing the dreams.

I grunted at the sight of my actual bedroom and looked at the door where i left the cheese last night, it was gone, i then ran downstairs to the small door and tried to open it, only to find that it was locked. Mom must have locked it.

After getting dressed and ready, mom and dad took me to garden life, a store in town. I explained to them what the garden looked like and what was in it then about the circus and Wybie then mentioned (y/n).

"Whose (y/n)?"

"My other brother" i simply said causing mom to look at me

"You cant have an 'other' brother if you dont have a real one to begin with Coraline." She then handed her book to dad and he got out to take it in.

She then started the car engine and we drove to the store for my school uniform.

Mom walked around the store, getting my uniform while i sat on the steps. My eye caught a pair of cloves on the table next to me that had a sight which said 'sale gloves' they were a pumpkin orange colour with a striped pattern that was black and a dark muddy green, the resembled something you'd wear in fall.

I grabbed them and looked at them then a boy rolled down the stairs on a chair with weels, another boy ran behind him as they yelled loudly then crashed somewhere causing the chair to roll over to me.

I then smiled as i had an idea. I put the cloves on my hands and got onto the chair, standing up then rolling past mom a few times, moving my hands, hinting that i wanted them as she searched through more clothes.

She didn't look at me but obviously noticed me because i stopped behind her and she told me to put them back

"But mom! The whole schools gonna wear boring grey clothes, no one will have these" i said as she tried to size me up with a blazer

"Put them back"

"My other mother would get them" i spoke as i folded my arms.

"Maybe she should buy all your clothes." She retorted

I huffed as i stared at her, her attention only on that stupid phone then i walked back to the glove table and put the cloves back.

On the way home I grumpily stared out the window and asked "so what do you think is in the other apartment?"

"I don't know. Not a family of Jones importers"

"Then why'd you lock the door?"

"Oh, i found some rat crap and...i thought you'd feel...safer"

"They're jumping mice, mom. And the dreams aren't dangerous, their the most fun I've had since we've moved here" i said looking back out of the window

We got back home after mom tried to make things better by saying that school might be fun, which i know won't be.

There was no actual food to eat at home so she suggested food shopping, dad was still gone so she asked if i wanted to go with her, i said no.

She left and i smiled. I walked to the drawer with a million keys inside and searched for the door key. I couldn't find it and looked around the kitchen for anything the looked up and saw it hanging on a skrew on the wall.

After struggling to get it, i finally managed to flick it off of the skrew and catch it. I walked to the door, key in hand, hoping this would work.

I put the key into the keyhole and turned it, i took a deep breath and exhaled with my eyes closed then pulled the door open and opened my eyes.

Nothing.

I then remembered that there was also one in the closet of the empty room. I ran to that room and opened the closet door to see the small door. I stuck the key inside and turned it, then opened it.

There was the same worm looking hallway but it was (c/1) and (c/2) instead of the purple and blue that was downstairs. I smiled and crawled through it to the other side.