6

"Katrina, you are being summoned by the Satan," a young servant said from my open door way.

I waved her off without glancing in her direction. I couldn't be bothered to move. I hadn't left my room in over a month so this was probably about my lack of deals. I just couldn't bring myself to go to Earth and make deals. I didn't know why I was so lethargic and depressed. I shouldn't have cared about what Michael said last month. I shouldn't have cared that Damian and Avina seemed to be happy. But I did care. I hated that they were happy while I suffered my lonely existence. I hated that as much as I tried to ignore Michael's words they haunted me.

With a deep sigh I managed to pry myself from the bed to go up another ten floors to Samael's office. I kept my eyes glued to the floor to avoid any comments. Maybe if I scowled enough I could dodge everyone else.

I made it all the way to Samael's office without incident, thankfully. I couldn't handle an interaction with anyone at this point.

I stepped inside the grand office to see Samael standing by the ten foot by ten foot fireplace. His hands were laced behind his muscular back. Damian received his dark good looks from his father, that much was obvious. Samael looked every inch the part of slick, business tycoon.

"Katrina, I couldn't help but notice your lack of activity lately," he commented with such a lack of emotion I had to wonder what was burning beneath that carefully composed mask.

"I apologize, Samael. My mind has been a bit preoccupied lately."

"Yes, well, I have an assignment. You will go to Heaven to retrieve an angel for punishment. It is highly important you do not speak to her or let her get to you on an emotional level. I am sending Avina with you and you will be in charge of her safety."

Great. As if it wasn't enough to be in the same world, I was being forced to protect her. I didn't hate her enough to go against Samael but she would certainly get on my last nerve. She would want to talk to me and be friendly but I couldn't possibly fake that much.

"As you wish," I said reluctantly, "When do we leave?"

"Now."

I nodded once and left his office. Great.

I went searching for Avina in the most likely of places, the room she and Damian shared.

I pushed the already cracked door open to reveal only Damian shirtless. It was something I had seen a million times but perhaps the recent lack of sex in my life caused my body to react.

"Sorry. I was looking for Avina," I mumbled and started to turn.

"Hold on a second, Kat," he said as he approached me.

"About the last time we spoke...I shouldn't have demanded you show Avina respect. It was rude considering the circumstances."

I nodded once, "Okay. Where's Avina?"

He shrugged, "I don't know. We don't talk much."

My eyebrows lifted slightly, "I thought the point of not sleeping together was so you could have a real marriage."

"That's not working out exactly to plan," he commented as he ran a hand through his ebony hair.

He looked so increasingly sexy as I stood in front of him. The ultimate temptation.

"So I take it you've been celibate?" I asked with a smirk.

"Unfortunately yes."

I nodded absently but stayed silent. I could feel his eyes boring down on me but I wasn't going to make any moves.