13

I woke to a pounding headache and nausea like never before. I hadn't been hungover since I was human and this was really a terrible feeling. Everything was so bright and white; I instantly knew I was in Michael's room, on his bed. I tried to stand but regretted that as soon as I did it. I groaned in discomfort as I laid back down, shielding my eyes from the light.

"Serves you right, you know," Michael said from the couch in front of the fireplace.

"Shut up," I muttered, "What am I doing here?"

"I found you last night drunk and over emotional so I brought you here."

I could hear him turning the page of his stupid book as if there was a chainsaw in my ear.

I thought about last night. What happened? I hadn't stayed here willingly. I remembered fighting with him and taking off...to the past.

Oh shit.

I had shown him everything. I had told him I wanted to love him.

Shit, shit, shit! How could I have been so stupid?!

I stayed quiet for a long time just thinking of how to approach the subject but not really wanting to. He was clearly unaffected by my confession which actually hurt worse than most of the other things he said to me.

"You really don't have anything to say about last night?" I asked in a timid voice.

"What's there to say?"

"I told you I love you," I said clearly hurt by his lack of caring.

His head whipped around, "You remember that?"

"Of course I remember it," I said coldly as I covered my eyes again.

I felt the bed dip next to me. Michael slipped a hand over my stomach and my nausea seemed to dissipate. Thank God for that. Well, thank the right hand of God for that.

I sat up and curled my knees to my chest. I buried my face in my knees.

"Why can't you accept me," I begged, my voice thick with unspilled tears.

He sighed, "Katrina..."

"Please, just tell me why. Am I not pretty enough?" I desperately needed to know.

"You are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen," he said quietly.

"Then what is it? I don't understand. I'm trying so hard to change. I just want to be with you. I need you," I whispered.

"The truth is...I don't know how I would react if you were ever with Damian again. You have such a strong past with him and that will be difficult to break."

"That's a cop-out," I said weakly.

"I know."

"I have already cut all ties with him. I don't hold any grudges against you for not saving me."

"I do," he said quietly.

I barely turned my head to peek at his tortured face.

"I feel so guilty about not saving you. Every time I look at you, I am reminded that I abandoned my mate and you had to suffer because I was too blind to see you."

Before I could second guess myself, I reached over and pulled him to my lips. I couldn't tell if I was just over emotional or if there were literal sparks flying but everything about him drew me in. He was so perfect and I needed him desperately. I straddled his lap never once breaking our lips as his hands went to my hips, gripping them tightly. He travelled to the tie that held my dress together and slowly pulled it apart revealing my body to him. I willingly pushed it to the ground and pulled his shirt off. He gently moved us so I laid on my back as he kissed the line that created my collarbone. I involuntarily moaned when his lips found the dip between my neck and bone. I felt his lips curve into a smile as he paid careful attention to that spot, eliciting another moan.