22

Michael gripped my shoulders and turned me away from him only to see two people I never thought I would come into contact with again.

My parents looked exactly as I remembered them; my memory of my human years was fuzzy at best but I would never forget them, I couldn't. My mother's forever gentle smile played on her lips while my father looked like he couldn't have been happier. I wasn't sure how happy they would be once they discovered what I did but perhaps they might learn to love me again. Hell, if Michael could eventually learn to love me, so could they.

"Katrina," my mom said as she approached me carefully yet confidently.

I couldn't respond, couldn't breathe. I never thought I would see them again! It was a ridiculous fantasy I never once entertained to avoid taking on any more regret.

She pulled me into a tight hug but I was so frozen, so caught off guard, I couldn't immediately respond.

"We've missed you so much," she whispered.

I let out a breath I didn't even realize I had been holding, "I've missed you, too," I finally said.

I wrapped my arms around her still slightly unsure if this was real.

"Michael?" I questioned but received no reply.

I turned to the empty space where he had been standing. I guessed he wanted to give me some time alone with my parents. That, or he didn't want to be involved. With his mood swings, I could see either option as a possibility.

"How long have you been here?" I asked.

They looked at each other and shrugged, "No idea. It feels like one eternal day," my father responded as he stroked my hair.

I nodded absently. I knew exactly how long I had been dead. Ninety-nine years, seven months, two days, and five hours. Give or take a few minutes. I knew because one hour in the Underworld felt like an eternity.

"Have you been happy here?" I asked. If they hadn't, my suffering would be all for not. I wasn't sure I could take that on top of everything else I had endured this century.

"There aren't words to describe how amazing it is, Katrina," my mom said in a dream like daze but shook her head and laughed a little, "But you already know how great it is here."

I cringed at her comment. I could barely stand to be in Heaven. Everything was too bright, too perfect. Belonging to the Underworld made Heaven even more unbearable. I wasn't supposed to be here; that was part of the deal.

"Katrina?" She questioned, "This is where you ended up, isn't it?" She asked. I could tell she feared the answer though.

"No," I said quietly, "I am the head deal maker in the Underworld...I sold my soul to the prince."

She instantly released me; the sudden space hurt worse than if she had slapped me.

"What did you get in return?"

I looked at the ground, ashamed I couldn't have had more faith, "I punished Ivan and gave you a free pass to Heaven."

"Oh, Katrina," she said sadly, "You should have had more faith in God."

"I know but everything happened this way for a reason."

She smiled sadly, "So this is the only time we will see you?"

I hadn't thought about it that way. I wasn't sure if this would be the final time I was with my parents. Damian seemed pretty upset with me so I assumed I was no longer the head deal maker. I assumed I was cast aside; I assumed I had been banished. He hadn't officially said it but I felt it coming. If I ran into him again, I was sure he would banish me.

"I will be here for at least a little while longer. I have to go find Michael but I will find you again."

I hugged them both and started back to the castle to find Michael. I wondered why he had done this for me. I was grateful but curious; why would he go through the trouble of tracking them down before he even knew things would happen this way? Was he planning on making an effort regardless? Not that it would make a difference but I was curious all the same.

I looked in his wing of the castle and the great room I had been in with Avina but he was nowhere to be found. Where could he be?

I noticed one of the archangels I met with Avina walking towards me. I couldn't remember which one he was though. Maybe Raphael? He was clearly not going to acknowledge me but I needed to find Michael.

"Excuse me," I said getting his attention. He simply looked at me as if I was a lesser being. Granted, I was beneath him but he didn't have to showcase his superiority, "Could you tell me where I could find Michael?"

"He is discussing the war with Adonai," he responded though his tone was less than gracious.

"Thanks," I responded curtly.

"This was unnecessary," he accused.

I knew they would all blame me for this instead of giving Avina some of the guilt.

"I didn't start this."

"You should have stayed away from Michael. Christof would have given you a decent life."

I couldn't even respond because I was never released from Christof's hold. I was bound to silence.

"Your silence shows your guilty conscience," he said.

I couldn't help but glare at him. I wasn't guilty but I couldn't defend myself. What would be the point? He was probably just as stubborn as Michael. The only reason Michael finally accepted me was because I was his mate. I never expected his fellow archangels to accept me as well.

"I could help you save Michael from this war," he offered.

"How?"

"With you out of the picture, he would have no reason to resent Avina and there would be no war."

He was telling me to disappear?

"And where would I go," I asked sarcastically.

"Back to Christof. He would allow you to live in his castle as long as you stay away from Michael."

I scoffed, "That's not going to happen. I won't leave him."

"And why is that?"

"He is my mate," I said exasperated.

"If you truly love him you will not allow this war to happen."

Well that caught my attention. Was that true? If I really cared for him wouldn't I be selfless enough to not let him go to battle over me? Then again, if I left he would suffer just as much as I would. What was the lesser of two evils?