1

"What did I tell you about talking back," Ivan demanded as he covered my nose and mouth. I tried pushing his thick, muscular arm away so I could breathe but he was so strong.

I couldn't listen to his words with panic surging through my veins. I couldn't think, I couldn't breathe. I needed him off of my body! I felt tears streaming down my cheeks as I tried biting his hand or kicking or hitting...anything!

Slowly, my vision began to blur and my arms felt like they weighed ten tons. My chest hurt so much from the strain I just wanted it to stop. My eyelids were so heavy they just wanted to close. I could only see spots surrounding Ivan. His coal colored eyes were the last thing I saw...

---------------------------------------------

I woke in the hallway of a hospital but seemed to be unnoticed by any doctor or nurse. What the hell was going on? When did I get this dress?

I trailed my fingers down the violet silk. The fabric hung loosely on my thin shoulders and the hem kissed the sterile floor. I was barefoot and confused. I quickly tried to remember something but the last thing I could recall was Ivan yelling at me. How did I end up here?

"Follow me, Katrina," a strong male voice said from behind me.

I whipped around to see a retreating figure and quickly followed him. His shoulders were broad and probably well muscled beneath his gray tailored suit. His hair was black as could be and cleanly cut. From what I could tell his skin was just as close to ivory as my own. I wondered what his face looked like. My guess was handsome but who was he? Why was I following him?

He led me to a hospital room and held the door open for me. I finally had the chance to peek at his face which stopped me in my tracks. He was the most perfect man I had ever seen in my entire life. How could this type of perfection exist? He seemed otherworldly with his strong jaw, straight nose, and masculine cheekbones. His eyes caught me by surprise; they were a bright gold. I had never seen such a color before.

He took his eyes from me and I followed his gaze to the hospital bed. My body laid on the white sheets looking more machine than human. I couldn't fully process what I was seeing. Was I dead or just crazy?

"You have three options, Katrina. One, you can go back to life but you will be paralyzed from the neck down. Your parents will divorce because of the strain you cause on their marriage. Eventually, your mother will commit suicide due to her deep depression. Two, you decline my offer but accept death in which case you will serve whatever your punishment could be in Hell. Three, you work for me and avoid any punishment."

What?

I was so confused. So was I dead or not?

I approached my body and reached out.

"Careful, kitty Kat. You touch that body and you will go back."

I instantly drew my hand back and bit my lower lip.

"What happened to me?"

He raised an eyebrow at my question but other than that, his expression was unreadable.

"Your charming boyfriend killed you. Well, not yet I suppose. You don't remember?"

I shook my head, "I remember fighting but nothing after that."

"Would you like to see?"

Should I witness his cruelty against me? I needed to see it. I needed to know what happened to me.

I nodded and he grabbed my hand. Suddenly we were in Ivan's giant apartment. I saw him on top of me covering my face as I tried to fight back to no avail. Finally, I went limp and he got up. He gripped his hair and started pacing in front of my body. He pulled out his phone and called someone. He was rambling on the phone and nearly hysterical but I could tell he hadn't called an ambulance. He had probably called his very powerful father. I watched him in horror as he ran to the kitchen and grabbed a knife. He came back with bloody forearms and stuck the knife in my chest.

I felt my hands shaking as I covered my mouth. How could he do this to me? How could he tell me he loved me but stick a knife in my chest?

He made another phone call, this time hysterical saying he needed an ambulance because we had been robbed and I was dead.

Christ. He meant to kill me. There was no accident.

I could feel the man's eyes watching me carefully. I didn't want to look up but something drew me into him. Something made me look and when I did, I saw the concern laced in his golden eyes. He may have hid it well, but it was definitely there.

"I don't want to see the rest," I said quietly.

We were instantly back in the hospital standing next to my parents and my body. My parents looked so drained physically and emotionally. I had never seen my mother's green eyes so dull and lifeless. My father looked like he hadn't slept in weeks. I had done this to them but I had the opportunity to give them a chance at being happy. They shouldn't have their marriage end because of a selfish decision on my part.

"How long have I been here," I asked the mystery man.

"Three weeks."

I finally turned from my family to him. He looked curious but nothing more. I assumed he was a difficult person to read.

"Who are you?"

"Damian."

"Damian," I mused, "So why are you here?"

"To offer you a way out of suffering. Did I not make that clear?"

"You did but why me? People die every day. Why are you asking me to work for you?"

An amused smirk fell on his lips, "I thought you'd never ask. As it turns out, kitty Kat, you are quite unique. Very few humans have been given the ability to bargain for souls and you are one of those few. It is not something that can be learned; it is something Adonai created you with."

"Adonai?"

"God, the Almighty, The Lord," he trailed off.

Fantastic.

"So if you're talking about Him like that...Who exactly are you?" I asked cautiously.

"Crowned prince of the Underworld and the current Angel of Death."

Fan-fucking-tastic.

Could I honestly work for him? I mean, he was offering me a way out of eternal suffering and damnation. Well, I guess I would still be damned since I would be working for Satan's son but I wouldn't have to suffer.

"What exactly would I be doing?"

"Collecting souls that have been sold to my father. That's all. As payment, you will live in the Underworld castle for eternity with no obligations other than to collect souls when requested."

I nodded absently as I processed his proposition. I knew it was wrong. I knew if my parents knew about this I would be disowned. I wasn't religious but my parents were eastern orthodox and I'm pretty sure working for the Devil is simply wrong even if the religious aspect is taken out. I was binding my soul to Hell for eternity.

"I'll even sweeten the deal. I will wipe the slates clean for your immediate family. As far as the Underworld will be concerned, your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins are saints. When Ivan dies, you can even have a say in his punishment.

I sighed, "Okay."

He walked up to me with his hands in his pockets. He extended one hand to me with a light smirk, "So we have a deal, Katrina?"

I bit my lip but slipped my small hand in his large grasp, "Deal."