10

I threw myself on my bed in a desperate attempt to forget about Michael being here. I didn't want to think about him worrying about me. That would be torture for him to care but reject me.

"Katrina?" Michael's voice flooded my room as my head shot up.

"What," I asked exasperated. Why wouldn't he just leave me alone?!

"Where were you?" He asked more gently this time.

I watched him carefully as he sat at the edge of my bed. He hardly looked at me but I wasn't sure why.

"Why does it matter?"

"You are my mate and I am still responsible for you. Who were you with?" He asked calmly.

My jaw just about hit the floor, "You mean who was I fucking," I retorted violently.

"If you would like to use such crude language, yes that was my question."

I laughed, "You have no faith in me, do you?"

"Have you given me any reason?"

I shook my head absently, "You know, when I was alive my parents were diehard Catholics. They never had a spiritual experience but they still had faith God was there. Shouldn't you practice what you preach?"

He looked shocked for a moment but rolled his eyes, "This isn't a game, Katrina. Who were you with?"

"I wasn't with anyone," I shot back, "Not that it's any of your fucking business but I spent the year in solitude."

His expression showed that he didn't believe me which infuriated me beyond reason.

"Why are you even here? I told you to never speak to me again, Michael. The least you could do would be to respect that," I said as void as possible. Still, the hurt seeped into my voice and gave way to my true feelings.

"Unfortunately, I cannot leave you alone. Like I said, you are my responsibility and I will not be lied to."

My temper soared at his comment. It was as if he had slapped me across the face. I quickly got to my feet and stormed out of the room. I couldn't let him see me in such a broken state. I couldn't let him know he had such an affect on me.

I fled to the Garden of Hades to find solitude. Samael couldn't make me spend a year in Heaven. I couldn't possibly avoid Michael there. Running wasn't an option anymore since that seemed to work so well for me this time around.

I left the palace for the serenity of the magical gardens. Giant weeping willows carefully hid stone benches next to a quiet crystal clear stream while a small waterfall trickled a few feet away. I loved being here especially alone but as my luck would have it, Avina joined me before I could notice or protest.

"Michael does care for you," she said quietly as she gently rubbed my back.

"He doesn't. He made that quite clear," I said just as quietly as if I had been too loud the gardens would shatter.

"He does, Katrina. You must prove to him he was wrong about you. Understand his position," she tried.

"The thing is, he was right. I am an absolute disgrace and I have no business being with him. I couldn't possibly be good enough for him, Avina."

"He is your soul mate, Kat. He is stubborn; he has always been stubborn. You just need to show him the great person I know you are and he will accept you," she urged.

I thought about what she said. She wasn't telling me to change myself into something I could never be. She was telling me to be myself. She was telling me to still do my job but show him I wasn't this slut he had envisioned.