[Horrortale - Frans Week #4 / Trust]

Sorry for being late, heh...

Anyway, this chapter has triggers. It's Horrortale, what do you expect? They'll be put in the description, so please be careful!

Other than that, it's angst time.

Have fun-?

Third Person P.O.V.

Frisk's return hadn't turned out the way she'd thought.

After the fall, no one was there. After approaching the door, she heard Flowey's voice. He sounds... different? How did he return?

"Hello? Did someone new fall..?"

Best to avoid him, anyway.

The entirety of the Ruins was barren. Not a soul in sight... the cracks were larger than before.

And Toriel's home? Empty too. A red blanket was laid in the kitchen, but besides that, nothing was out of place. The two bedrooms were locked, for some reason. No one was in there, from what Frisk could tell.

Downstairs... there wasn't anything new, either. But nevertheless, the familiar terrain was unsettling to Frisk. The shadows seemed... alive. It was as if they were whispering warnings.

Frisk kept going, right to the gate. Pushing through, Snowdin seemed to haven't changed as well. Besides the atmosphere, that is.

What used to be so friendly was different. It was eerily quiet. The only sounds were the wind and Frisk's own footsteps. The place seemed so much less lively.

Crunch. Crunch. Crunch.

Footsteps, Frisk thought, that must be...

Bones sprouted from the ground, shooting up to trap Frisk in a cage. "H-Huh?" One of the skelebros, maybe? Hope rose within her.

Swiveling around, it was soon replaced by shock. "S-Sans..!"

It was the pun-loving skeleton, alright. But not how she last remembered him.

His clothes were ragged and worn down. Bloodstains coated them, along with his skull... his skull..! It had a huge hole in it, cracked and messy.

The red glow of his right eye haunted his daunting and violent expression. Of which, tightened at the sound of his name.

The familiar ping of her soul becoming blue rang out. Her legs crashed down, held by his magic. A blue attack surrounded her limbs and body. One wrong move and... she'd rather not think of it.

"How..." His voice was more threatening and low now, too. As if he's screamed for hours. Sans' head tilted. "do you know my name, human?" The last word was spat out like poison.

Frisk was at a loss for words. This... This was the skeleton she had fallen for, all those years ago? Goodness, what had happened?

Nimbly, her hand avoided the glowing blue bone to reach out of her cage, "Sans... oh my Asgore, what happened..? I-It's me! Frisk!"

"Who..." The effect of the name was instantaneous. His eyes fell, lost in the memories.

Laughter...

Love...

Puns...

Smiles...

Joy...

Trust...

Deaths...

Dust...

Murders...

Resets...

Promises...

Lies...

The attacks dissipated from his shakiness. Frisk took the chance, reaching out her arms, offering a hug. Stepping closer, she gave a warm smile. "I'm back."

Except, the spell was broken when Sans lurched back, trembling. "No. No, no no no! No!" He repeated it like a lifeline.

"Get away from me!"

Those words broke Frisk. Hurt and worry flashed across her unbreaking gaze. Again, but slower, she invited him to a hug. Her movements were cautious, as if he were a frantic animal. For a moment, he wondered if he was.

"Sans..? What happened? What's wrong?"

Her questions fell to deafened silence.

Why was he so scared of her?

"D-Don't you trust me, Sans?"

That word was a trigger. All the panic shifted to anger. Dark, deep, resenting anger. He growled, becoming fierce and wild.

"No."

Frisk stopped at that.

"No, no I don't! Because trust means honesty, Frisk!"

Ah, so that was it. Frisk wilted at that. "Sans, I'm sorry, I didn't tell you. But please understand that I couldn't-."

"Nonsense." He snapped. "Nonsense and lies, that's all you told me. You- You promised! We'd figure it out together! But you killed him! And I'm not only mad at that!"

The skeleton was seething. All this time, he had suffered. He spent all this time, starving and arguing because he couldn't bear hurting a human. A human that reminded him so much of his Frisk. Maybe that's why he had helped Aliza.

Not only that, but the memories still gave him nightmares...

And she thought she could just... return?

"You killed my family, my friends! Over and over again because it was all a game to you! Taunting and pretending and lying! I-I... and I gave you a second chance. I thought you'd change. But no, you lied again. You killed, again. And then you left without a word."

His outburst stunned Frisk to silence. All this time, she had felt guilty. But... she'd never thought Sans held all this resentment towards her.

A tense and deadly quietness passed. His heavy panting smoothened out. Then, Sans straightened his posture so he wasn't kneeling over anymore. A burning grin with malicious intent fought its way to his face. His eye was unevenly flaring red.

"Maybe it's time for you to learn the outcome of your actions."

With that vague warning, he disappeared into the howling wind. The snap echoed more loudly in Frisk's ear than it should've.

So there Frisk was left, unwarned and unaware of the horrors she had left. The rest of the Underground was waiting for her.

Uh... so yeah. How was that?

Anyway, yeah. I fell asleep after running on a week of sleep deprivation. So that's why I was late.

But anyway, today's prompt will be delivered shortly after this is posted. Be on the lookout for that!

~Vie
-940 words-