CHAPTER •°• twenty

AFTER SIRIUS KICKED MAGGIE out of his dormitory, she came back to her own common room and sat down at one of the couches. She wasn't sure what to think about everything that happened and after the first moment of euphoria and adrenaline, she started to feel down.

She suspected who her soulmate could have been, but as she stared at the business card that he gave her and that she managed to find somewhere in her pocket, she just...

The professionally inscripted lettering of the name 'Kingsley Shacklebolt' and then his address, all that on a minimalistic background, just didn't quite suit what Maggie's soulmate mark said.

But if that wasn't Shackelbot then who else? It would suit the situation - she always assumed that her soulmate was dead, but perhaps she was wrong. Perhaps, the chances of them meeting were just really low. After all, Kingsley already went away to the United States. If she didn't meet him in that bar, which was purely by chance, she would probably have never met him.

He might have been a Hogwarts student, like she, but he was a few years older so it's not like she ever really saw him before. And if she did, then she didn't really remember that.

Maggie looked at the address more closely. She had no idea where that could be and she didn't want to send a letter. That Shackelbot guy was probably already in the US anyway. And besides, maybe she was wrong and it wasn't him. Or maybe he did have another soulmate and she had her own words inscripted under her armpit.

But that wouldn't make sense. But then, the soulmate marks themself didn't make sense and lately Maggie slowly started to get used to not having one. Maybe she even started to kind of like that. No drama, unless you want it, no all this 'oh my god, my soulmate mark says 'hi' i don't know whether my soulmate is really my soulmate' type of stuff. And a general feeling of being independent and alone. But not alone in the bad way, alone in the... being self-sufficient way.

And now it all changed so suddenly and Maggie wasn't even sure if she wanted to try and find her soulmate. Maybe she should just forget about it and pretend that she didn't have a soulmate mark? She could go without dresses with straps. Longer sleeves were also good and fashionable, even for summer. 

"Uhm... Maggie?" She heard suddenly, somewhere over her head and only then she turned her eyes away from the business card that Kingsley gave her and met with the gaze of Remus Lupin himself.

She frowned. He shouldn't be here, he didn't know anyone from Hufflepuff, not as far as she was concerned.

And he was just talking with Sirius, at least he should be. She cleared her throat wondering what did Black manage to fuck up this time.

"Lupin?" She asked, trying to keep her tone as indifferent as possible. "What is it?" She wanted to know, trying to stop herself from adding 'did Black tell you I am dying or something' because really, he looked exactly like he thought that she was dying.

"I uh..." The Gryffindor scratched the back of his head and while he was wondering, Maggie managed to notice, with the corner of her eye, that Virginia was suspiciously near. 

She just hoped that whatever the Gryffindor meant to say wasn't too much of a tea. And speaking of tea... Maggie glanced at the card once again and quickly hid it to her pocket, hoping that Remus didn't get to notice it just yet.

But he seemed to be too deep in his thoughts to notice anything.

"So... I know it may sound weird." He started suddenly making Maggie look right at him once again. "But Sirius just said that... uhm... you have cancer and a... I wanted to... say. I'm sorry." He pursued his lips, playing nervously with his fingers. "For the whole drama, I guess." He finished finally and Maggie blinked a few times.