28: rescued

"𝐂𝐚𝐧 𝐈 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐧𝐞𝐞𝐝 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐜𝐮𝐢𝐧𝐠?"

~🌙 ~

We sat in front of a convenience store, eating ramyeon and ice cream.  I evidently did not have a doctor's appointment and since Hyerin didn't sign in to detention, she did not have that either. We decided to go somewhere near and hang.

"Thank you for paying for this, Jongseong," Hyerin said as she took a mouthful of the hot noodles. She ate it well, humming with delight. I loved how she ate without shame. Ramyeon was one dish that you just had to enjoy without caring about how you looked. I loved that about her. I did the same and for a few minutes we just ate in silence. Even though I had already eaten lunch, there was nothing like a bowl of hot ramyeon. I could eat it at any time of day. 

"Can I ask?" Hyerin paused, "Why did you lie about your appointment?" 

I knew this question would come up. I thought about it for a second and went over my answer in my head. 

'Because I like you and don't want you to suffer,'

But obviously, that was too abrupt. I also felt like Hyerin didn't need to know how I felt, because it would definitely change things between us. Being close acquaintances with her was more than enough for me. I enjoyed her company and how easy things were. I was not about to ruin it by making her consider the way I felt about her. Besides, she probably didn't feel the same way..

"I just wanted to skip last period," I said cooly acting like a delinquent. Hyerin looked shocked at my answer and laughed. It was a throaty laugh that came out louder than she probably intended. It was so dramatic that eventually I joined in too. I asked her why it was funny and she told me that I was to studious to skip class. I was part of the top trio in our grade, and it was unbelievable that I would ever want to damage my grade average.

 I sighed knowing that any argument I put up would be a lie. 

Somehow, I admired that she knew me like that. I never openly mentioned how important my studies were to me and the fact she recognised it made me feel somewhat special. It made me want to know about her more.

"How come you went to the arcade then?" 

"The girls were meeting up with their boyfriends from the other school district. I didn't really want to come along once I found out but it was too late at that point," Hyerin explained. she looked off into the distance like it was a reminiscing moment in a film. The wind picked up and her hair floated slightly against her shoulder. It seemed like a surreal moment and I couldn't stop thinking about how beautiful she was. 

"How come you didn't want to go?" I asked softly, still watching her features lighten in the sun. 

"I was like the seventh wheel," she chuckled, "I don't have a boyfriend. I was just there awkwardly. You know?"