46: journey's end

"𝐈𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐢𝐭,"

~🌙 ~

Eun Hyerin

I loved swishing my golden graduation gown around as I walked. It fell down to my ankles that exposed my nude high heels. The accompanying cap sat tightly on my head, with its tassle jumping around as I moved. My curled hair fell against my shoulders that framed my naturally painted face. I hadn't felt so confident in a long time, but luckily my best friends were here to boost me.

"You look great!" Chae gushed as she approached me in her gown. I hugged her tightly, thanking her.

"As do you! I'm so excited," I giggled and waved over at Naeri who was making her way towards us.

"Who's ready to graduate?!" She squealed and ran towards us. Naeri bombarded us with a tight hug that was rather suffocating.

"I would be if I could breathe," Chae remarked and she let go quickly.

"Are you ready?" Naeri specifically asked me and I gave her a puzzled look. Naeri knew me well and looked straight through my facade. I sighed and shook my head.

"There is nothing to be ready for. It's no big deal,"

"Are you kidding?" Chae blew up, "You're going to see them, see him. I'm 10000% sure he's going to walk across that stage and see you sat there. It's going to be magical for sure."

"Guys, please. It's not like that. I don't even know if I have any sort of friendship with them anymore. Jongseong seemed really pissed when I left," I looked down remembering the harsh time that had me biting my lip.

"We all were, Hyerinnie. But as friends we forgave you, and I'm sure they will too," Naeri encouraged and I appreciated her optimism. It was all true, however. All students at Seoul High would be at the ceremony including Jongseong, Jake, Sunghoon and Heeseung.

Was I mentally prepared to see them again? Definitely not. I didn't want to go to college without fixing my loose ends with them. In my head, so many outcomes played and most of them were bad. I was rude to Jongseong over the phone and I didn't even say goodbye to the others. Not even Sunghoon, who helped me settle into Seoul when I moved. My actions were unjustifiable and I would understand if they never wanted to see me again.

However, it would play out today... I was going to see them, and that was inevitable.

Throughout the ceremony, my leg shook out of nerves. I counted through the names and the diplomas and it got closer and closer to valedictorian. Heeseung, Sunghoon and Jake all accepted their diplomas with a happy and wide smile and I clapped for them generously. Not one of them spotted me in the crowd though.