44: back story pt 1

"𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐢𝐬𝐧'𝐭 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐯𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐛𝐥𝐞,"

~🌙 ~

Eun Hyerin

I stared at the front of the familiar skyscraper that towered over the busy Manilla streets. A breath escaped my throat as my lifestyle had returned after a month break. Was I really happy to be back here? I struggled to convince myself that this is what I wanted. Leaving behind lovely people who encouraged me to be myself was a hurt I only understood. I felt similar when my mother died, but then again - I'm still here and she is not. 

"We should get going Miss Eun," My PA spoke from besides me, passing on a cup of hot coffee. I nodded reluctantly and began making my way into the building. I was greeted by familiar staff who all welcomed me back. One kind clerk welcomed me 'home' which settled funnily in my stomach. 

I climbed the 32 floors and entered my pride and joy of an office. It was just how I left it, pens and everything still scattered in front of my PC. 

"Do you need anything for today, Miss Eun?" my PA asked with an honest work smile. 

"Just this week's briefing, please,"

I took a seat in my leather chair and turned on my computer. I had hundreds of work emails, missed calls and voicemails. I looked through them and groaned at my increasing work load. 

The satisfaction of being back struggled to settle as I was extremely confused. I had been gone a month but it seemed like any of my roles weren't covered. My father made no effort to replace me in the business and now the company was lagging. Reading the emails further it seemed that many people hadn't been able to contact us at all. 

'This is the third time we have tried to contact your company. If we do not hear back soon, whether in writing or by phone call, we will be selling our shares on...'

'We are no longer interested in being shareholders...'

'The shares of the company are not worth what they were before'

"What the hell has my father been doing all this time?" I mumbled angrily under my breath. I grabbed a pen and notepad and started making the necessary calls back but  was interrupted. As if on queue the doors to my office swung open and my father waltzed in.

"My favourite daughter is back!" he clapped his hands together and made his way towards my desk, "It is lovely to see you back here, Hyerin. I told you - you couldn't stay away."

I didn't reply but let the phone continue ringing. No answer. I instantaneously dialled another number, not giving my father any notice.

"You're not going to greet your father?" he frowned. He took a seat in front of my desk and leaned back like a business man. His legs were crossed and an arm rested on the surface of my desk.