02 | シスター

Sister

──── ────

"Emma" you whispered.

The said girl woke up in a cold sweat, gasping for air. You jumped when she suddenly sat up. Emma looked at you for a second before looking back down.

You had woken up a few hours earlier because you had a nightmare and couldn't go back to sleep. You had noticed Emma starting to move around in her sleep and mumble words that you couldn't understand.

You looked at the time, it was a few minutes after 4 in the morning.

You crawled closer to Emma and hugged her. You felt her hug you back and you gently rocked your bodies together.

You laid Emma back down on her bed and crawled under the covers with her. She smiled gratefully at you and cuddled close, falling asleep a few minutes later.

You listened to all your siblings soft snores. You wanted to sleep too, but you were scared. Scared of having that nightmare again. You let out a sigh and closed your eyes as well.

-

You looked at Emma. Who seemed to look terrified when she heard Mama's voice. You silently walked up to her and placed a hand on her shoulder, placing a plate on the table. "Smile, Emma." You whispered.

She let out a shaky smile as Norman walked in as well.

"Good morning, Emma and [Y/N]" He greeted, smiling at both of you.

You returned the smile. "Good morning, Norman."

The boy glanced at Emma and said the same thing in her ear. He then pulled you both away from the room to talk.

"Listen, Emma. We have to behave like we normally do." Norman told her. "Yesterday, we broke the rules and went to the gate. But we didn't find anything."

"But Little Bunny..." She whispered.

"Mama definitely found it, but I don't think she knows who left it there." You reassured.

"Mama was smiling. She doesn't show it on her face at all." Emma said.

"And that's what we have to do." Norman told her. "If our faces show it, Mama will notice. We can't lose. Let's smile." He smiled.

Emma was still terrified but she smiled properly for the first time this morning. "What does it mean? 'Another six year old. We've been shipping out normal quality ones.'"

"Judging from those words, age probably equals the grade of meat. If I remember correctly," Norman said. "The siblings who were shipped out were between six and twelve years old. If being six years old is ranked as normal the the highest quality is..."

"Twelve years old." Emma finished. "But what about our scores?"

'Are they eating our meat? That doesn't make that much sense with our daily test... how does the shipping work?' You wondered.