08 | おめでとう

congratulations

You know how Norman represents the King Chess Piece? Yeah you represent the butterfly on the opening *cough* which is why there's a butterfly icon on your pen, those will mean something as we go on *cough*

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

You glanced at Sister Krone's empty seat, already knowing it was the end for her. 'I'm sorry, sister. I hope you're happier now. You've escaped this hell... we will escape for you...'

You arrived at the walls first after lunch and patiently waited, thinking about Winter.

You smiled at Emma and Norman when they arrived to the wall. "Let's begin." Norman said as Emma grabbed the hidden ropes from the tree.

"[Y/N], don't worry. It's going to be okay." Norman reassured patting your back gently. He had noticed your worried eyes and tense shoulders. "You trust Ray, right?"

"Not Mama." You responded bluntly.

Norman frowned and wrapped an arm around your shoulder, giving you a side hug.

"Emma, wait!" You suddenly exclaimed after a few minutes.

Emma and Norman jumped at your sudden outburst. "What's wrong?" But they didn't need to receive an answer from you to hear the footsteps.

Emma threw the bag of ropes into the bushes and stared ahead.

Your breath hitched when Mama came into the clearing.

"Mama. What's wrong?" Emma asked innocently.

"Emma," You muttered. "She knows."

"What?" Emma asked in confusion.

"That's right." Mama sighed "Ten years. We've been living together for ten years, but this is the first time talking to you without the acting. Nice to meet you, Emma. Nice to meet you, Norman. Nice to meet you, [Y/N]."

Mama chuckled softly, "Come on, please be at ease. Don't worry. It's just us. No one else is here. You don't have to pretend to be good kids who don't know anything. Right now, it's just the caretaker and the children meant to be food. But please don't misunderstand. I love you children. I adore you. Truly. I love you as If you were my one children." She smiled, but it only lasted for a second and her face turned serious once again. "And that's why I'm here. I want you to give up."

"Give up?" Emma asked.

"Give up resisting." Mama smiled. "Because I love you, I don't want you to suffer. I don't want to have to make you all suffer. It's a happy life, isn't it? A warm home filled with love and delicious food. Without knowing hunger, coldness, or the truth, you can die with a satisfied feeling. What part of that is unhappy?"

"A happy life?" Emma voiced. "Is the happiness you speak of similar to the end that Conny met?"

"Death happens in an instant. Until that moment, Conny lived a rich life full of smiles. She was happy till her last breath because [Y/N] asked her to think of all those memories." Mama said.

"I don't need any fake smiles!" Emma exclaimed. "Even if I suffer, I will live freely! I will decide for myself what happiness is!"

She was about to go on when you placed a hand on her shoulder. "Emma." Norman said shaking his head.

"Norman, [Y/N]." The strawberry blonde glanced at the both of you.

"It's impossible to escape. It's dangerous outside, too. It's full of despair." Mama held her arms out. "Okay? Let's all live together happily inside out home. Until the end, when your time runs out. I want you six to be happy."

"Six? Not four?" You asked, puzzled. Then it dawned on you and you shared a terrified look with Emma and Norman. Emma stared at you both.

"Okay, Mama. I'll quit being a good boy." Norman smiled gently.

That was when Emma and you lunged at Mama, Emma hugged her from the front and you jumped on her back. "Go Norman!"

You felt Mama grab your hair and pull you down, throwing you with so much force your head hit the tree. You cried out in pain.

But your pain was nothing compared to what happened next.

Crack

Followed by a sickening scream.

Your eyes widened as you forced yourself to stand up and look at Mama. "Emma!" You cried out as she screamed.

You wobbled up to her and got on your knees, hugging her as she cried into your chest. The world was spinning and you were about to pass out but you forced yourself to stay awake for her. Emma needed you and you weren't going to leave her.

You saw three blurry figures run into the clearing.

"[Y/N]!?"

"Emma!"

"There, there. It's okay." Mama cooed taking Emma from you.

"N-no don't touch her." You cried out as Mama pulled you into her grip, preventing you from moving.

"I'm sorry my dear children. I told you to give up. You poor things. My adorable Emma and [Y/N]. But neither of you hugged me like that in so long. I missed giving you a piggyback ride, [Y/N], it made me so happy." Mama softly said, placing a kiss on both your heads.

"Norman, you realized it too. That's wonderful. That's right. I'll control you until the end." Mama said, wrapping bandages on Emma's leg and on your head.

Emma gripped your hand tightly in pain. "I'm so sorry Emma. I should have switched places with you." You apologized crying with her.

"You can't move for a while now. You can welcome tomorrow safely." Mama said, rubbing Emma's cheek.

"Tomorrow? What's happening tomorrow?" You asked weakly.

"Yes, tomorrow. Stay put and celebrate, Emma." Mama said turning to Norman. "I got a notice from the higher-ups. Congratulations, Norman. Your shipment date has been set."

Your eyes widened. "No! No! It's too early!" You cried as Ray ran to you and held your shoulders. "Norman..."

Truly, for the first time in weeks, you felt the haunting feeling of helplessness. You would have no choice but to watch your best friend be shipped out.

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

The pain. Bye. I hate it here 🚪🚶‍♀️