7

•The Burned One•Word count 1158

•The Burned One
Word count 1158

"What the hell?" Adelina whispered nervously as she heard a loud growl come from the woods. Riven quickly placed his hand over her mouth as he grabbed her from behind. Adelina felt her heart quicken at the feeling of Rivens body behind her. "Be quiet." Riven warns her. Adelina could practically hear her heart pounding as Riven slowly took steps backwards as he dragged Adelina with him. Adelina had heard all the stories about the burned ones but she thought they were all gone. They were almost to the barrier when the sound of a twig snapping interrupted the silence. Adelina looked down in horror as she realized she was the one who disturbed the silence. Adelina didn't have time to react as she heard a lord screeching noise. "Run!" Riven yelled at her as he quickly grabbed her hand and yanked her backwards. Adelina tripped over Rivens feet as her body slammed against the floor. She frantically tried to stand up as her body was now covered in mud.

"Adelina come on!" Riven screamed frantically as he placed his arms on her waist as he tried to help her up. Adelina heard the sound of something running towards them causing her to quickly stand up. Before they had time to react something grabbed Adelinas leg causing her to scream. "Adelina!" Riven screamed helplessly. Riven watched in horror as a burned one dragged Adelinas body on the ground. It jumped on top of her as it started grabbing ferociously at her stomach. Adelina screamed as she kicked the burned one in the face. Riven felt completely useless in that moment. He had no weapons and he stood no chance against the burned one. Adelinas stomach was covered in blood as she desperately tried to crawl away from the burned one. The burned one immediately jumped back on Adelina causing her to scream again as tears poured down her face. "Riven help me!" She screamed as she tried to punch the monster that was feeding on her body.

"Use fire!" Riven screamed at her. He seemed to be frozen in place. He forced himself to run over to her. He grabbed a stick and smacked the burned one on the back with it. The burned one growled as it turned its attention to Riven. Riven had never felt so scared as the burned one started walking towards him. Adelina pushed her bloody body off the ground as she watched as Riven stared at the burned one with fear in his eyes. She had never seen Riven like this. She didn't even know he had the capability to be scared. She raised her hands above her head as she screamed. Riven watched in horror as the burned one was engulfed in flames. Riven quickly ran around the burned one as Adelina collapsed in his arms. "It won't be out for long.... you have to get us back to the barrier." Adelina warned Riven.

He nodded as he quickly picked the girl up in his arms. He sprinted towards the barrier as the creature made a horrifying sound. Riven heard the creature chasing after them causing him to quicken his pace. He finally made it to the barrier as Adelina started coughing up blood. Riven sighed in relief as he passed the barrier. Riven looked down at Adelina as he moved her hair out of her face. She gave him a weak smile as she coughed up more blood. Her shirt was drenched in blood causing Rivens eyes to widen. "I need to get you to Professor Harvey." Riven mumbled frantically. His legs were killing him but he needed to get Adelina to safety. Riven replayed the events in his mind as he sprinted back to the school. He couldn't believe how weak he was. He couldn't believe he let Adelina get hurt. He couldn't believe that it hurt his heart to watch her get torn apart. He didn't think he could ever care for anyone like that and he hated it.

"Help!" Riven screamed as he bursted open the doors to the school. No one responded causing him to walk towards the headmistress office. "Help! Someone please!" Riven screamed. Adelina felt like her whole body was in pain as she clung onto Rivens chest. She was in a lot of pain but she felt safe in Rivens arms. "Riven? What the hell happened?" Sky asked Riven in disbelief. Sky's eyes landed on Adelina causing him to gasp. "I'll go get Professor Harvey." Sky told Riven frantically as he ran up the stairs. Riven took a deep breath as he sat down in a random seat in the main office. "I'm sorry I didn't protect you." Riven tells Adelina softly as he caresses her face. "You got me back safely that's all that matters." Adelina reassures him. Moments later Professor Harvey, Headmistress dowling, Sky and Silva came sprinting down the stairs.

"What happened?" The headmistress asked Riven sharply. "A burned one got to her." Riven tells her sharply. "Where?" The headmistress asks him frantically. "Just outside the barrier." Adelina tells her weakly. Professor Harvey immediately started tending to Adelinas wounds. Adelina winced in pain as she tightened her grip on Rivens arm. "Your lucky you got her here in time if it had been seconds later she would be gone." Professor Harvey tells Riven softly. "How is it that you are unharmed and she is in critical condition?" Silva asks Riven sharply. "She saved my life. She set the burned one on fire." Riven explains to him softly. "That won't do much to it.... send your best men to find it." The headmistress orders Silva. "We need to move her to my office so I can continue to help her until they kill the burned one." Professor Harvey tells Riven softly. Riven nods as he gently picks her up. Adelina winces in pain causing Riven to look down at her sadly.

"Sorry." Riven tells her softly. Professor Harvey leads Sky and Riven to his room. "You can set her down on that bed." Professor Harvey tells Riven softly. Riven gently sets her down on the bed. Riven pulls his hands away from her as he notices his shift and hands are covered in blood. Riven glanced down at Adelinas wound. It was huge and it looked deep. Professor Harvey quickly held a towel on the wound in order to stop the bleeding. "You boys can go back to bed. I have it from her and Silva will kill the burned one and she will be back to herself in no time." Professor Harvey reassures the two boys. Riven gave Sky a concerned look as he shook his head. "I'm not leaving her." Riven tells him sharply. Riven gently grabs Adelinas hand causing her to smile at him. Riven hated seeing her like this and he believed it was all his fault.

_______________________________
Riven couldn't protect her 😩