14

•A Moment Of Vulnerability•Word count 1579

Word count 1579

"You're saying.... Riven pushed a couple first years into a lake because they were talking about you?" Stella asks Adelina in disbelief. "Yeah... it's not a big deal." Adelina mumbled as she sat down on her bed. "It's a huge deal... it means I'm correct in thinking that he does have a crush on you." Stella squeals in an excited tone. "Riven was just looking out for me he doesn't like me like that..... now go to bed." Adelina replied sharply as she laid down in her bed. "Ugh Goodnight Adi..... let me just state that when you two start dating I called it!" Stella yells playfully. Adelina rolls her eyes as she turns off the light in their room. Adelina laid in her bed pretending she was asleep for about fifteen minutes. Once she heard Stella snoring she quickly snuck out of her room. She wrapped her arms around her body because she was freezing the moment she walked outside. Adelina quickly headed over to the specialist training area. The sound of someone throwing up caused Adelina to immediately stop walking.

"Hello!" She yelled loudly as she turned around. She scanned her surroundings before her eyes landed on someone throwing up behind a bush. "What kind of an idiot gets drunk....." Adelina begins to yell at the person before her eyes landed on the boy. "Riv.... you are exactly the kind of idiot to get drunk on a school night." Adelina huffs sarcastically as she stares at him in disbelief. "Adi! What's up!" Riven yelled playfully as he turned to face her. He rested his arm on the railing next to him as he gave her a flirtatious smile. He immediately lost his balance and started falling down the stairs. Adelina quickly grabbed both of his arms as she tried to steady him. "Why are you out here in the open where anyone can see you getting drunk? I thought you were smarter than that Riv." Adelina asks him sharply.

Riven grabbed her shoulders as he nearly fell over. "Let's sit down." Adelina tells him softly as she gestures to the stairs. Adelina sits down on the stairs and Riven sits down directly next to her. He nearly fell on top of her as his body pressed against hers. He wrapped his arm around her as he laughed. Adelina felt her face get red as she pushed his arm off of her. "Now that you hopefully can't fall.... why are you out here?" Adelina asked him sharply. Riven playfully shrugged his shoulders as he laughed. "Why are you out here?" He asks her as he mimics her voice. She scoffs as she rolls her eyes at him. Riven immediately mimics the noise she made. "I'm out here to practice my powers... we've been over this.... now tell me Riv..... why are you out here drinking?" Adelina asks him in a concerned voice. She gently places her hand on his leg. Rivens eyes soften as his eyes land on her hand on his leg. Riven immediately shakes his head as he struggles to stand up.

"I got drunk because it makes me feel good!" He yells playfully. "I don't think that's the whole reason." Adelina replies softly as she gently grabs his hand. Rivens eyes flicker to her hand and his eyes once again soften. He quickly pushes her hand away as he runs a hand through his hair. "I think I can drink some more..... you want some?" Riven asks her playfully as he grabs his flask filled with alcohol. Adelina could see right through Riven. He wasn't okay. She had never seen him like this before. Riven quickly started chugging the bottle. "Hey.... I think you've had enough." Adelina tells him softly as she takes the bottle away from him. "You should have some... it's good." Riven tells her playfully. "Look..... I know you're the king of giving zero shits or whatever but I know something isn't right Riv..... and if you need someone to talk to I'm right here." Adelina tells him in a soft tone.

Riven looked at her with sad eyes before quickly walking away. Adelina sighed as she poured the alcohol in the bush as she slowly followed Riven. Riven stopped walking as he sat down on the grass near the pond. Adelina slowly made her way over to him and sat down beside him. They sat their in silence for a couple of minutes as Adelina noticed Riven wiping tears off of his face. They both didn't look at one another as they stared at the pond in front of them. Adelina wanted to know what was wrong with Riven but she couldn't force him to tell her. "You're freezing." Riven whispered as his voice cracked. "I'm fine." Adelina replied softly as she turned to look at him. He quickly placed his jacket around her arms. Adelina flinched at the feeling of his hands brushing against her bare skin. Riven slowly pulled his hands away and went back to staring at the pond. "I'm sorry." Adelina whispered softly. "For what?" Riven asked her as he turned to look at her.

"I'm sorry for whatever happened that has made you feel like this." Adelina tells him softly. She turns to look at him causing her eyes to meet with his. Riven felt a tug in his heart as he stared into her eyes. He didn't know what it was like to have someone care for him like her. No one had ever bothered to make sure he was okay....most people would have just walked away but not Adelina. Riven noticed her blonde hair blowing in the wind causing his heart to stop. He couldn't believe how beautiful she was. He quickly turned his gaze back to the pond and so did Adelina. Riven softly cleared his throat. "I Uh.... I get these nightmares...." He whispers softly. Adelina turned to look at him as she noticed him nervously fiddling with his fingers. "I Uh..... well there not just umm nightmares.... sorry I've never actually really talked about this with anyone...." Riven rambled nervously.

"It's fine... I'm listening." Adelina reassured him as she gently placed her hand on his. Riven turned to look at her before he began speaking again. He nervously ran a hand through his hair as he quickly looked away from Adelina. "When I was a kid.... before I lived at Alfea.... I lived at home like everybody else..... I lived with just me and my parents..... I didn't know that....." Riven begins to tell her in a soft tone but he stops as his voice cracks. "I didn't know that...... other peoples dads didn't....hit their kids or their wives... it was a normal thing for me....... I would always come home to my dad umm..... beating my mom or if I did something wrong or......if my dad just had too much to drink he'd hit me.....I came to Alfea to get away from that Adi..... but I still get nightmares.... I see my dad hitting my mom over and over again and I still feel guilty because I left my mom with him....... that's why I drink Adi.... that's why I smoke....that's why I get high...... it makes everything go away." Riven explains softly as his voice continues to break and small tears fall down his face. Adelina didn't know how to respond as she felt like she had just been kicked in the heart. She hated knowing that Riven went through something like that. Riven felt Adelina wrap her arms around him as she held on as tight as she could. Riven quickly hugged her back as he gently rubbed his hand back and forth on her arm. Riven could hear her crying as he tried to hold back tears.

"You don't deserve that Riv......." Adelina whispers as she lifts her head up to look at him.  "I'm sorry.... it's not fair and there's nothing I can do to fix it but I hope you know that you are safe now and you shouldn't feel guilty none of it is your fault...." Adelina tells him softly. Riven wipes away one of her tears as he gives her a soft smile. "I've never told anyone that before." Riven tells her softly. "We can blame it on the alcohol." Adelina mumbles playfully causing Riven to laugh. Adelina smiled at the sound of Rivens true authentic laugh. "If you tell anyone about this... I'll kill you." Riven warns her playfully. "Who would believe me?" Adelina replies sarcastically. "Why am I crying?" Adelina mumbles playfully as she quickly wiped away her tears. "Because deep down you know you care about me." Riven says playfully as he wraps his arm around her. "If you tell anyone that.... I will deny it." Adelina tells him sharply. Riven playfully puts a finger over his mouth. "My lips are sealed... unless you wanna kiss them of course." Riven tells her flirtatiously. Adelina shakes her head as she nudges his arm. They both started at the pond again as they sat there in silence. Adelina slowly rested her head on Rivens shoulder as he gently wrapped his arm around her. Adelina couldn't believe he was just as broken as she was.

______________________________
I know we don't know Rivens backstory in the show but I wanted to give him some backstory on why he is the way he is 🥺